You can post a payment immediately after posting charges, or you can post a group of payments, such as payments mailed to your office.
To post a payment:
1. In the Payments section of the Financial Functions — Charges and Payments window, select the payment type you want to post. You can type the first letter of the payment type to jump to that selection on the list. Press Tab or Enter.
2. Type a payment reference number, and press Tab or Enter. The cursor moves to the Amount field. If you have posted procedures that have charges attached to them, the software automatically enters the total patient portion in this field.
3. In the Amount field, type the payment amount. If necessary, enter the patient and insurance portions.
4. Click the Post Transactions button or press Enter when the Post Transactions button is selected to post the payments you have entered.
5. Click Close or press Enter when the Close button is selected to close the Financial Functions window.
If you try to exit the Financial Functions — Charges and Payments window or access another financial function, patient, responsible party, or insurance carrier without clicking the Post Transactions button, the software reminds you that the transactions entered have not been posted and asks if you want to post the transactions.