If the contract was entered for an amount larger than it should be, post a Total Only balance adjustment, and then re-spread the existing contract to reflect the correct payment arrangement.
How to Adjust a Contract Entered for MORE Than It Should Have Been
NOTE: Adjusting the total balance also affects the Accounts Receivable for the practice. The Total Balance on the Accounts Receivable report is the sum of all patients' total balances.
1. From the main menu, select Functions > Financial Functions > Adjustments from the patient's chart.
2. Click Balance Adjustment in the Type of Adjustment section.
3. Select Total Only in the Balance Adjustment section.
4. Enter the amount of the adjustment. (Use a negative number to decrease the balance.)
5. Press Enter on the keyboard.
6. Verify the resulting balances in the New column of the Balance Adjustment grid.
NOTE: If the new balances are incorrect, repeat steps 4 through 6 with the correct adjustment amount.
7. Enter a detailed Comment to define the purpose of the adjustment.
8. Click Post Transactions (or Ctrl-S) to post the adjustment. A message states This adjustment caused the contract payments to be modified. Please review the contract for changes.
9. Click OK.
10. Press Ctrl-C to switch to the contract screen.
11. Review the contract for any necessary changes.
If the contract was entered for an amount smaller than it should be, post a miscellaneous charge to the account, and then post a current only balance adjustment.
How to Adjust a Contract Entered for LESS Than It Should Have Been
1. From the main menu, select Functions > Financial Functions > Charges.
2. Select the patient from the OrthoTrac Software Patient Look-Up window.
3. Click OK.
4. Verify that the correct responsible party is displayed in the Resp Party field. If not, select the correct responsible party from the list.
5. Enter the procedure code.
Note: You should have a miscellaneous code configured for this type of procedure.
6. Press Tab on the keyboard.
7. Enter the amount to be added to the contract.
8. Press Tab on the keyboard. The charge is assigned automatically to the responsible party. If the charge should be applied to the insurance, enter 0 in the patient column beside the procedure and press Tab on the keyboard.
9. Click Post Transactions (or Ctrl-S) to post the procedure.
10. Select Functions > Adjustment > Balance Adjustment.
11. Select Current Only.