When working with Word Processing letters, you often need to have specific information pulled from the patient's record into the letter (such as the patient's next appointment date, patient name, and so on). The AWPS merge fields can be used to pull in this information. Below are the steps for adding a merge field to your letters.
1. From the main menu of OrthoTrac click Functions, Word Processing, Letter Setup.
2. Click on the letter.
3. Click on the Change button.
4. When the Change Letter window is displayed, click the Edit Letter button. The Edit Letter button may be displayed as Edit Patient Letter, Edit Responsible or Edit Doctor Letter based on the Addressee of the letter.
5. Click on the desired location in the letter where the merge field should be inserted.
6. Click on the appropriate Merge Field button on the tool bar.
NOTE: In Word 2007 or later the merge toolbar is shown by selecting Add-Ins. The icons for merge fields show in the Custom Toolbars section.
The icons in the Custom Toolbars (from left to right) are as follows:
NOTE: For a definition of the various text merge fields available in Orthotrac, please see page Orthotrac - What is the Definition of Each Merge Field Used in Word Processing Letters?
Patient Gender - Inserts pronouns correctly according to the patient's gender. Note that these will display only as "she" or "he", etc., in the letter setup, but will pull the correct info when the letter is posted.
Responsible Gender - Inserts pronouns correctly according to the responsible party's gender. Note that these will display only as "she" or "he", etc., in the letter setup, but will pull the correct info when the letter is posted.
Orthodontic Imaging - Inserts images from Carestream Orthodontic Imaging. For more information, please see page Orthotrac - How to Add an Image to a Letter .
Insert Fill In - Inserts a fill-in merge field. For more information, please see page Orthotrac - How to Add a Microsoft Word Mail Merge Insert Fill-in Field into a Letter (Prompt for Additional Information) .
Insert Frame - Used in conjunction with the Orthodontic Imaging button to insert images. For more information, please see page Orthotrac - How to Add an Image to a Letter .
7. When the Insert OrthoTrac Merge Field screen displays, click on the desired merge field from the list.
8. Click the OK button to insert the field into the letter.
9. Click the Save and Close icon in the Custom Toolbars.
10. Click on the OK button on the Change Letter screen to save the changes to the letter.
11. When the System Update message displays, click on the OK button.
12. Click on the Close button to close the Letter Setup screen.
[[Article ID: 35420ATL]]