Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sundberg101
Premolar II

Doctor Time Scheduling Standard

Jump to solution

We are considering switching to the Doctor Time Scheduling format. Is it possible to create schedule templates prior to the switch without it affecting the current look of the schedule?

Years and years ago when the office switched to scheduling in 10 min increments from 20 minute ones I remember the front office complaining that it screwed up how the schedule looked in OrthoTrac on days that were originally set up for the 20 min increments. I don't want  the "look" of the current view of our schedule to change until we actually make the switch but want the ability to create templates before switching.

Worst case scenario can someone send me a blank template or spreadsheet of what Doctor Time scheduling looks like in OT and I'll make copies to use to create templates the old fashioned way outside of OT prior to "flipping the switch" in  OT to Doctor Time.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: Doctor Time Scheduling Standard

Jump to solution

Good day Laura ( @sundberg101 ),

I'm not sure why your main office was complaining because creation of new standards (whether they use doctor time or not) does not affect existing days already added to the schedule. Neither does the changing of appointment types to add doctor time to them; neither does creating a new standard with different time increments.

So in answer to your question, no, any changes made to add doctor time to a new standard or add doctor time to appointment types will not affect any existing days, only newly added days using the new standard and new appointment types. 

Regards,

Phil Carter / OrthoTrac Escalations

sundberg101
Premolar II

Jump to solution

So if I open up the Schedule Maintenence tab and add the Dr time units in the appropriate box it's not going to interfere with any of the templates that are already loaded into the schedule? Just double checking before I start working on creating new templates that reflect "Doctor Time" scheduling.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

That is correct. Changes in Schedule Maintenance will only affect newly changed appointment types and new templates with those newly changed appointment types added. No existing days or existing appointment types will be affected. 

Checking the boxes in Schedule Maintenance for "Display in Chair" and "Display in Totals" will cause a tiny dash to display on the right edge of all existing appointments because those settings enable display of the doctor time units, but since there will be no actual doctor time on those existing days / appointments, the tiny dash is the only thing you will see and it is barely noticeable.  Keep in mind also that doctor time only displays in Zoom view and many offices are not configured to display in Zoom mode by default anyway.

Actual doctor time NUMBERS will only display on newly added days using new standards composed of newly edited appointment types. 

Regards,

0 Kudos
sundberg101
Premolar II

Jump to solution

Thanks Phil!

If I want each unit of doctor time to be equal to 5 mins and our scheduling template is done in 10 minute increments, so what number would I use for the units of doctor's time? It only allows me between 0-6. I checked the Help section and made two phone calls to OT Support on Monday and was disconnected both times when the reps put me on hold to find out the answer.  The help section does formula in 15 min increments not 10 minute ones. 

Does the number of chairs available have any bearing on the formula or is it just based on how long a unit of time is on the schedule in general?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

To set up Doctor Units per time slot:

1. Select Functions, Maintenance/Setup, Schedule Maintenance from the main menu of OrthoTrac.

2. Make a note of the Time Slot Value. This is important in relation to the Doctor Units/Time Slot.

NOTE: To determine the length of a Doctor Unit, divide the Time Slot Value by the number of Doctor Units/Time Slot. If the Time Slot Value is 10 minutes and the Doctor Units/Time Slot is set to 2 then each Doctor Unit will be 5 minutes (allowing no more than one 2-doctor-unit appointment, or two 1-doctor-unit appointments, to be scheduled at the same time). If the Doctor Units/Time Slot is set to to five then each Doctor Unit will be 2 minutes (allowing no more than one 5-doctor unit appointment, or five 1-doctor-unit appointments, to be scheduled at the same time). 

3. Enter the number of Doctor Units per time slot in the Doctor Units/Time Slot box.

So, if you want each Doctor Unit to be equal to 5 minutes, you would set "2" in the Doctor Units/Time Slot box.   This would mean that two total doctor units are available in each individual time slot and no more than two appointments which include doctor time can be scheduled in that time slot.

4. In the Display fields, select In Chair to show the doctor units in the Chair column, and select Totals to show the doctor units in the Totals column.

Once this is done you will need to set the number of Doctor Units used by each appointment:

1. While still in Schedule Maintenance, select the appointment type from the list of Types.

2. Click the Change button in the Types section.

3. Click on the current value for doctor time and enter the new values for each Time Slot (see the highlighted red section in the below screenshot, done with test data). 

2019-01-02 11_19_21.png

The above example shows a thirty-minute appointment which is considered very important and so ALL doctor time available for each time slot is allocated to this appointment (2 doctor units per time slot).  This means that if you schedule an Initial Exam appointment, for example, in chair 1 at 8:00, you will not be able to schedule any other appointments which include doctor time at 8:00, 8:10, or 8:20.  

Here we have another appointment with a different allocation of doctor units:

2019-01-02 12_24_47.png

This appointment requires less supervision from the doctor, so only one unit of doctor time is required, and that only during the first of the three time slots in the appointment.  That means that if you scheduled a 3 Unit Adjustment appointment, for example, in chair 1 at 8:00, you could schedule one additional 3 Unit Adjustment appointment in any other chair at 8:00  (2 Doctor Units in total), or schedule two additional 3 Unit Adjustment appointments in other chairs at 8:10 (each of the appointments using one Doctor Unit in its first slot for two total), and two additional 3 Unit Adjustment appointments in other chairs at 8:20 (each of the appointments using one Doctor Unit in its first slot for two total). 

Note that you may schedule ANY number of appointments that are not allocated to use Doctor Time. 

4. When you have finished making changes to the appointment type, click OK on the Edit Appointment Type window.
5. Click the Close button on the Schedule Maintenance window.
6. When the System Update message is displayed, click OK.
7. Restart OrthoTrac.

You will then need to create a new schedule standard with the newly edited appointment type or types and then add a new schedule day using that newly created schedule standard. 

Regards,

sundberg101
Premolar II

Jump to solution
Thanks Phil! It makes complete sense now!
0 Kudos