cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sarah1
Canine II

I am trying to clean up our insurance carriers and am having a hard time.   I cannot seem to edit an insurance carrier name if misspelled, delete a carrier or even remove a carrier from a patient record if I have EVER filed a claim.     This is making cleaning our system very difficult - any help is appreciated.

1.   How do I edit a carrier name that is misspelled?

2.  How can I delete a duplicate carrier?  Claims sent on both - but they are old claims nothing outstanding or even recent on the ones we need to delete.

3.  How can I remove an insurance carrier from a patient record?  Claim sent 7 years ago, pt back in treatment with new insurance.   Would like to remove old from record.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: Help

Jump to solution

Hi Sarah! 

I know the answer to your first question, right off the bat, so let me answer that, then I'll look into your other two questions really quick.  

1st - to edit a misspelled carrier name, you must delete/remove the entire name and then retype it.  

Follow these steps: Maintenance Wrench > Carrier Maintenance > find the plan with the misspelled name > Double click to edit > highlight and backspace to remove the entire carrier name > type the corrected carrier name.  

This has worked for me in the past, so I hope it helps you.  

I will look into your other two questions and get right back with you. 

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution
Just to add to what Danelle said above - make sure you completely remove the name- OT will not allow you to edit - you have to remove and replace the name.

I do not not know of a way to remove a carrier or remove a carrier from a patient record if a claim has ever been filed, I will see what I can find out ....
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Good day Sarah  ( @Sarah1 ),

Here are the answers to your questions:

1.  When you click the "Change" button for an insurance carrier (or double-click it to open it), the carrier name will be highlighted.  Press the Backspace key on your keyboard to completely erase the name, then type the new name and click OK to save changes.

2.  You can remove a carrier from the system if the following two conditions are both met:

-- The carrier cannot be currently attached to any responsible parties.  If you try to delete a carrier and they are attached to at least one responsible party, you will get the following error. 

2019-10-17 07_55_00-CS OrthoTrac Carrier Lookup.png

To find a list of all patients assigned to that insurance carrier, go to Reports, Miscellaneous, Carriers and Associated Patients.  The carrier will then need to be removed from each responsible party (see item # 3 below).  NOTE that you will not be able to remove a carrier from an RP if there is any financial ledger history for that carrier on that patient.  This is for legal reasons. 

-- The carrier must have no claims currently existing.  If any claims currently exist for that carrier they will need to be deleted. If you try to delete a carrier and they are not attached to any responsible parties, but claims still exist for that carrier, you will get the following warning message:

2019-10-17 08_00_10-CS OrthoTrac Carrier Lookup.png

Click "Yes" to print a report for all patients that have claims associated with that carrier (this is not the same as the report mentioned in the previous step). The claims will then need to be removed from each patient.  

If both of these conditions are met, then you can remove a carrier by going to Carrier Maintenance, selecting the carrier and clicking the "Remove" button. 

If you are unable to remove a carrier due to one of these reasons (usually the first), most offices that are unable to remove but wish to "delete" a duplicate carrier that has been previously used will instead rename the carrier to something like "zzzDo Not Use". This is another alternative. 

3.  You can only remove an insurance carrier from a responsible party if there is no financial ledger history. This is for legal reasons -- those financial ledger lines must remain as a permanent record and so the carrier must remain as a link to those ledger lines. Having existing insurance claims for a patient will not keep you from removing the carrier from a particular responsible party, however. To remove a carrier from a responsible party:

-- Go to the patient's main information screen and click on the responsible party's name in the "Family Members" section. 

2019-10-17 08_07_54-Chart (073894  John Doe) (doc Steven Dickens DDS MS PA).png

-- Use the "Carrier" pull-down menu to select the carrier you wish to remove. The following screen appears:

2019-10-17 08_10_15-Insurance Carrier.png

-- Click on "Cancel Insurance". You will be asked if you are sure you wish to cancel the carrier. Click Yes, then click OK to exit the RP screen and click "Save Changes" in the upper right hand corner of the pat info screen. 

NOTE:  If you try to cancel a carrier that has financial ledger lines for that patient, you will receive an error message stating that the carrier cannot be removed because ledger lines exist.  You will need to edit the carrier's ranking to set the carrier as not financially reponsible, instead. 

If you have any other questions, let us know!

Regards,

Phil Carter / OrthoTrac Escalations

@DFletcher , @d_canales 

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution
Thank you Phil!
0 Kudos
Sarah1
Canine II

Jump to solution
Thank you Phil. Just to clarify, if we’ve ever had a contract, or made a payment to the carrier -we can never delete it from the patient’s record which in turn means it will always be associated with the patient’s record and can never be deleted from OrthoTrac?
The “junk” has to remain in our system, because once it has a ledger line we can never delete it. so our system is full of useless information we can never clean up.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Good day Sarah ( @Sarah1 ),

Perhaps I wouldn't have put it quite that way, but yes, that is the case.  The ledger lines must remain for legal reasons, so the carriers in turn must remain connected to those patients, and thus in turn the carriers cannot be removed from the system. 

Most offices who have entries added to the wrong insurance carrier will either rename that carrier to correct the name and use it going forward, or if the carrier was mistakenly added as a duplicate, will rename the carrier to "DO NOT USE" or something similar. I would recommend using that workaround in those situations. 

Regards,

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Phil!  

Thank you for your speedy and detailed response.  That was very helpful!  

One question: when you say "ledger lines" do you mean contract charges and/or payments?  Or are you referring to something else? 

Just want to make sure I know for the future.  

Danelle 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Danelle ( @d_canales ),

By "ledger lines" I mean any transactions that write to the insurance ledger. This includes, for example, entry of contracts, posting of insurance checks, balance transfers to or from the ledger, manually entered comments, and printing of insurance claims (all of which write lines to the ledger). 

If the insurance ledger shows "No Ledger History" then the insurance carrier can be removed from the responsible party. 

In the below screenshots, the AIG / Dystarr insurance cannot be removed because it has existing ledger lines.  The BCBS / Xceleration insurance has no ledger history and can be removed. 

2019-10-18 07_43_26-Financial Functions (073894_ John Doe).png2019-10-18 07_43_30-Financial Functions (073894_ John Doe).png

Regards,

0 Kudos