cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paularyfa
Premolar I

How are people sending private patient info via email using Outlook?

Jump to solution

As I understand it, a plug in still does not exist so that we can use the email feature in Orthotrac via Outlook to send patient records encrypted.  Right now, I have to download each item individually, save locally, then attach into our third party encryption software.  This is terribly time consuming and inconvenient.  I have called multiple times and have been told that a plug in is in the works, but 3 years later....

So, what is the easiest solution for this?

Thx.

0 Kudos
8 Replies

Re: How are people sending private patient info via email using Outlook?

Jump to solution

Good day Paula (paularyfa‌),

Carestream Dental has had a partnership with the third-party email encryption company Protected Trust since February of 2017.  It is past time that we put up a knowledge article on their email encryption integration with Outlook (locally hosted) and Outlook Cloud, so I have just finished creating a new article on the integration.  Please see this page for more information:

OrthoTrac: Does Outlook or Outlook Cloud support email encryption? - Information on Protected Trust ... 

Please note that for security and permissions reasons, we cannot use third-party add-ins for Outlook Cloud.  You will need to use the Protected Trust API access gateway to send encrypted emails.  The article has more details.  

If you have any questions on the integration, please contact Protected Trust directly at  support@protectedtrust.com  or via phone at 800-876-1422.

Regards,

Phil Carter / OrthoTrac Escalations

paularyfa
Premolar I

Jump to solution

I can't even begin to explain how upset I am about this.  At least once every couple of months I ask whenever I call support if a plug in is available. NO ONE has ever told me about this partnership.  I have looked on this site and have not seen it either. For over a year this has been available??? Not a happy camper.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

The only reason I can think of that you might have been told encryption was not possible for you is if you were using the phrase "plug-in" when asking about it.  As I mentioned above, direct add-ins for Outlook Cloud are not allowed for security and permissions reasons.  Instead it is necessary for Outlook Cloud users to use the API access gateway method to send encrypted emails.   I apologize if you feel this information was not given to you sooner. 

Regards,

0 Kudos
paularyfa
Premolar I

Jump to solution

I'm not shooting the messenger. Glad for the info.  I did use the word plug in, but no one ever told me that it wasn't possible.  I was told it was in development.  I'm just really frustrated because I've been asking about this solution, regardless of name, for 3 years, and have even responded to multiple surveys with this complaint. 

0 Kudos
paularyfa
Premolar I

Jump to solution

The word of the day is frustrated.  Signed on with Protected Trust.  Using it with our Outlook Cloud, only to find that because it's Outlook Cloud, I can't open any replies without launching into a separate Microsoft Edge browser and logging in EVERY TIME.

What do we do now to fix this?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Although we have a partnership with Protected Trust, we do not support the integration itself.  If you have questions about the integration or its setup, please contact Protected Trust directly at support@protectedtrust.com  or via phone at 800-876-1422.  They should be able to address any questions you may have. 

Regards,

0 Kudos
paularyfa
Premolar I

Jump to solution

The limitation is with Outlook Cloud.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Good day Paula (paularyfa‌)

I am not sure what limitation you refer to.  It is normal for you to have to log into the Protected Trust website when you view an encrypted email  (this is the same thing that your patients must do when you send them encrypted emails through Protected Trust).  It may be (I am not sure, since I do not support Protected Trust) that you can view Protected Trust-encrypted emails directly in your email client IF you have the Protected Trust add-in installed locally on a local installation of Outlook, but as I stated initially in this thread, we do not allow the use of third-party add-ins with Outlook Cloud for security and permissions reasons.  This is not a limitation, but a policy decision put in place by our Management. 

I will call you tomorrow to discuss this further as I am occupied with appointments for the remainder of today.  

[[EDIT 5/18/18:  I have spoken with Paula and resolved her questions to her satisfaction.]]

Regards,

Phil Carter

0 Kudos