cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How should we improve OrthoTrac?

Good day Katie (katiejane62‌) and Kelly (ranjbar‌),

This topic is getting to the point where some of the new posts are replies for topics that were originally posted months or years ago, so previous replies to those topics may have gotten overlooked.  In that case, you might not have been aware that if you need to add emails directly to patient tracking, and you are using Outlook for your email (as most offices do), then you can add both sent and received emails directly to Patient Tracking using our add-in for Outlook.  Please see the knowledge page OrthoTrac: Configuring Email Add-in for Patient Tracking    for more information.  If you need help with the process, please contact Support directly at 866-722-2567 or OrthotracSupport@carestream.com.

[Edited to add]:  Katie (katiejane62‌), I failed to notice originally that your practice is a Cloud practice.   This is what I get for trying to rush my replies.  However, now that I *have* noticed, since Support has full access to all Cloud servers, I've gone ahead and activated the Patient Tracking add-in for Outlook Cloud for your practice.  You will need to close and restart Outlook Cloud for the change to take effect but after that you should be able to add the emails to the patient charts using the add-in. 

Regards,

Phil Carter / Orthotrac Escalations

0 Kudos
brandie36
Canine III

Go to the day that you want to extend, click on zoom, then click change. From there you can block out time that you don't want to have patients by clicking block time and highlighting the time that you don't want patients. To open time you click the open time and highlight the time that you want to open and select the color that you want it to be. I use it all the time. 

0 Kudos

Good day Claudia  (claudiamiz‌),

I need clarification on the first item you mentioned, please.  When you say "close a day", please clarify what you mean by that.  If you are talking about deleting the CURRENT day from the schedule, for any patients that are still on the schedule (that is, still in patient flow and not checked out yet) will of course be marked as no-shows because they were not properly checked all the way through patient flow.  If this is not what you mean, please give me some more details.

The second item you mentioned (adding time to the beginning or end of an existing schedule day)  has been brought up in a previous post you made, but unfortunately the response is still the same as it was then -- implementing this from a programmatic standpoint is very difficult.  It was already forwarded to Development as a suggestion, nevertheless. 

As for blocking out time on the schedule to prevent appointments from being scheduled, this functionality is already available in OrthoTrac.  Slots marked as unavailable for appointments will appear in a light gray. 

1.  Select the schedule day you want to modify from the schedule calendar. 

2.  Click the "Zoom" button. 

3.  Click the "Change" button. 

4.  Verify that the "Block Time Slots" radio button is selected (it is set by default). 

5.  Click on any currently open time slot to mark it as unavailable.  Existing multi-block appointment blockouts, if clicked, will ask if you want to block all slots for that appointment type.  

You may also click on a time slot, hold the mouse button, and drag the mouse to mark multiple slots as unavailable.  When you release the mouse button, all those slots will be marked as unavailable. 

6.  When you are finished making changes, click "Done" and then "Close".

If you have any questions on this process, please let me know!

Regards,

0 Kudos

Thank you Brandie (brandie36)  for the helpful reply!  

Regards,

0 Kudos
sundberg101
Premolar II

I think what Claudia is asking for is a way to block time slots out that cannot be overridden at all. Right now you can use the "block time slots" to clear a specific time frame but anyone who has the ability to override the schedule can still book appointments in those "blocked out" times. We tried using an appt type called "DNB" (Do Not Book) to show that we didn't want anything booked in a particular time slot(s) but those were being overridden by other people. Although I'm sure this would have to create an extra layer of security settings with only one or two people in a practice that would have the ability to over ride another level of blocked out time like this. 

As to the question about extending a day it stems from creating a template for specific hours then something comes up and you have to change the hours. We got so frustrated years ago with that we decided that all our our scheduling templates start at 7:20am and stop at 5:20pm and every chair is included on every template  regardless of how many assistants are actually working or what hours we are seeing patients. We then further pre-block out the schedule on each template based on it being an early day, late day, regular day, AM only, PM only and such. We have 3 forms of each template (A, B, C) so that the same procedures are not always booked with the same assistant at the same time each day. The templates are named based on pt hours ie: Early, Late, Regular, AM only, PM only, then if its version A, B, or C then finally how many assistants are we booking for that day. So it might look like Early A-3 Asst or Regular B-5 Asst. Yes it means we have created about 28 different templates, but after 15+ years of creating the schedule it was worth it and makes it easy to plug them in when scheduling out a year in advance. Then say six months down the line I have a "Reg A 3-Assist" day scheduled that needs to be changed to a 4 assistant day or the Dr decides he only wants to leave two hours early on a particular day I can just go in the schedule and further customize the schedule already loaded for that day. 

We never start earlier than 7:20 am and never schedule patients after 5:20pm so that determined the initial hours for all our templates.  We have 7 chairs/rooms so all templates have 7 columns regardless of how many Assistants/Doctors are working on any given day. 

0 Kudos

Good day Laura (sundberg101‌), 

Thanks for chiming in!  I should note that it's easy to keep staff from overriding those blockouts by making a change in Security (please note that only the office manager will generally have access to Security Maintenance). I did neglect to mention this in my reply to Claudia, though, so I'm tagging her now (claudiamiz) to make sure she knows this. 

To prevent staff from overriding areas coded for "blocked out/unavailable":

1. From the main menu of OrthoTrac, click Functions, Maintenance/Set-up, Security.

2. Enter the password to open the security window. If security is not set up with a password, skip this step.

3. Select the staff member from the By Staff drop-down box. If the change is being made for all staff members with the same title, select the title from the By Staff Type drop-down box.

4. Select the Scheduling option from the Category list.

5. Select Override Block Outs from the list of Functions.

6. Select the No option from the drop-down box.

7. Click OK to close the Security window.

8. Repeat steps 1 through 6 for any additional staff members or staff types.

9. Restart OrthoTrac for the change to take effect.

For this reason, Development has previously said they will not add a new "blockout" in Scheduling, as they feel the existing "block out" already prevents scheduling of appointments when properly configured.

Your second recommendation is actually the solution many offices have chosen if they change their schedules frequently to have different start and end times, but it bears repeating because this is a very good solution.  Set up schedule templates that START very early in the day and END very late in the day, but are only opened for appointments during their actual scheduled times. Then if those days need to be opened for extra time at the beginning or end of the day, it's easy to just open the already-existing slots.  The same thing can be done for the chairs -- create schedule templates which have as many chairs as you will EVER need, and then only set appointments in the ones which are actually needed on most days.  Then if an extra "overflow" chair/assistant is needed, it's easy to just open the already-existing slots. 

Regardless, many offices have asked previously for the ability to add chairs or time to already-existing schedule days.  We know the demand is there for such a feature, it is just difficult to add from a programmatic standpoint. 

Thanks again for your input!

Regards,

0 Kudos

I would like imaging to come up with an app, like Invisalign did , for taking photos. It would upload photos directly into Orthotrac. Super easy with an iPod!

0 Kudos
scarden
Canine II

When searching for a patient in Orthotrac it would be helpful to have the active patients displayed before inactive patients when there are similar or the same names.

0 Kudos

Good day Shelly (shelly@honigortho.com‌), 

I don't know that we have the resources in Development to develop apps for iPhone or iPad or Android, but I will be happy to tag our current Orthotrac PLM uriyahrobinson‌  to make sure he's aware of the suggestion.  Thanks for your feedback!

Regards,

0 Kudos

Good day Sharon (scarden‌),

Unfortunately this will not be possible because every office has various different Statuses that are used in their practice.  The variation in just the status names alone would be enough to prevent this (what one office refers to as "Phase I" may be "Tx Phase 1" in another office and "Treatment I" in another office), but besides that, there are differences between practices as to what constitutes an "active" status.  Some offices may consider their "Active", "Phase I", "Under Contract" and "Phase II" phases as "active" phases, while other offices may consider patients in "Active", "Tx Ph I", "Tx Ph II", "Retent", "Obs" and so on to be "active".   Other offices may consider their patients as "active" if they have been in for an office visit in the last six months, regardless of what their Status is; other practices consider any patients who have an outstanding balance to be "active". 

Policies vary from office to office. Because of these variations, there is no way to tell Orthotrac how a patient should be considered "active" while doing a patient lookup. Remember also that the patient lookup screen does display the Status for that patient, and if your practice uses Status to define active patients, you can quickly see from the listing which patients are in what status anyway and thus determine which ones are active. 

Regards,

0 Kudos