cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paularyfa
Premolar I

Responsible parties

For our minor patients, we have put the parents as responsible party.  The problem arises when the payment at the front desk is posted to the wrong responsible party, and then it is difficult to transfer correctly. 

My question is does any office simply keep the patient as the responsible party, regardless of age?  Post all charges and payments to the patient vs mom or dad or mom and dad? Looking for the pros and cons of doing it this way.  Thx.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
paularyfa
Premolar I

Re: Responsible parties

Phil, any ideas?

0 Kudos

Re: Responsible parties

Good day Paula ( @paularyfa ), 

You asked for other offices' opinions so I assumed you were not looking for an "official" response. 

With that said, you can handle patients and responsible parties however you choose to.  I will tell you, however, that for legal purposes it is really best to have the patient and the actual financially responsible parties separated out. The best bookkeeping practice is to have financial transactions recorded for the person that is actually paying them or receiving the charges. I am not sure why you say that it is difficult to transfer amounts from one responsible party if a mistake is made because that process is fairly straightforward.  Additionally, making sure to rank responsible parties properly, and setting non-financially-responsible parties as not financially responsible, will help ensure that transactions are not posted for the wrong responsible party. 

Regards,

Phil Carter / OrthoTrac Escalations

0 Kudos