cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
fmcrt
Canine III

Virtual Insurance Payment Posting

A virtual Insurance payment has to be run through like a credit card payment. You are not able to post a credit card payment to a insurance account. Therefore, you must then make adjustments to the account so that the money is allocated properly. Does anyone have a better solution to get around this very time consuming issue? Can Orthotrac make a fix to their system to handle these types of payments that are likely to increase in the future.

Labels (2)
8 Replies

Re: Virtual Insurance Payment Posting

Good day Rob,

Please advise what you mean by "virtual" insurance payments.  Are you talking about actual credit card payments for insurance companies, or some other kind of payment?  Please also let me know whether or not you use Carestream's electronic credit card processing services.

0 Kudos
fmcrt
Canine III

HI Phil:

Thanks for the prompt response. We have a couple of insurance vendors that pay us by virtual credit card, an actual credit card number sent by the insurance company that we post to patient’s ledger. We feel this is a likely payment method that will grow. There is no posting choice in insurance payments for credit cards, thus causing adjustments to ledgers to account for this.

Yes we are TransFirst users for auto pay credit cards. Love the auto pay business process; however not a huge fan of TransFirst,.

Regards,

Rob

Good day Rob,

Orthotrac does support credit card payments for insurance ledgers but it requires a bit of sleight of hand.  Change the amount for the payment to zero under the Patient column and the system will shift the amount to the Insurance column.  Thus:

1.  From the main menu of OrthoTrac, click Functions, Financial Functions, Payments.

2.  Select the patient from the OrthoTrac Software Patient Look-up window.

3.  Click OK.   The correct insurance should be displayed in the Ins. Plan drop-down box at the top of the screen. If the correct insurance is not displayed, select the carrier from the drop-down list.

4.  Click the Credit Card option.

5.  Press <Tab> on the keyboard.

6.  Enter the credit card number as the reference.  If the entire card number is typed, the card number will be displayed in the patient's ledger.  To avoid this, do not use the entire credit card number.

7.  Press <Tab> on the keyboard.

8.  Enter amount of the payment.

9.  Press <Tab> on the keyboard.

10.  Type: 0

11.  Press <Tab> on the keyboard.

12.  Verify that the amount is now displayed under the Insurance carrier.

13.  Press <Ctrl+S> to post the transaction.

Unfortunately, this process only works for offices that are not using Carestream's electronic payment processing  (that is, offices that merely enter the CC information into Orthotrac and do not have it automatically submitted to TransFirst through Orthotrac).   Since you are, you will find that after step 8 the system will pop up a window asking for you to swipe the card or enter the CC number;  there is not an opportunity to enter the patient amount or specify the insurance amount.   This is a known limitation and it has been reported by multiple offices as something that should be added to the software in a future version.  

You are correct in using the only workaround for this limitation: post the CC payment to the responsible party and then do a transfer from insurance to responsible party to lower the ins balance and raise the RP balance by that amount, thus offsetting the payment.    We apologize for the inconvenience.

0 Kudos
fmcrt
Canine III

Well, we accept autopay so this doesn’t do anything to help us. Thanks for the information, this will not go away we know, so hopefully it will get fixed at some point. Regards, Rob

oasisprosth
Canine II

Reading this thread and wondering if there are instructions for Softdent users on processing the virtual credit card. I built a code so we could track them in our system, but still haven't figured out how to attach a claim to them... is that even possible?

Thanks,

Sarah

0 Kudos

Good morning Sarah (oasisprosth‌),

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Softdent and it's fairly likely that most of the people viewing this Orthotrac forum will not have any suggestions either.  I recommend that you post your question in the Insurance discussions forum for Softdent.  Here is a direct link to that page.   You may also click the Places link on the toolbar at the top, then select CS Softdent, then select the category you wish to view on the left.

Regards,

Phil Carter / Orthotrac Escalation

0 Kudos
drlubaortho
Canine II

I have the same issue.  The transfer can be done to allocate the funds properly, but that doesn't always cut it.  I find that it causes a problem when a patient is behind on payments because when I do the transfer it accurately reflects their total balance but wipes out their current due amount.

0 Kudos

Good day Calvin (smiles@drlubaortho.com),

In cases like that, current-only balance adjustments can then be done to modify the currently due amount to whatever is needed.  Development is looking into adding insurance credit cards as a payment option in a future version of Orthotrac but that implementation is not ready yet, I'm afraid.

Regards,

Phil Carter / Orthotrac Escalation

0 Kudos