cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
musichbusch
Canine II

Double Charting

Has anyone had any problems with double charting. We have some charts when we open you can see the charting from the last vist 2x in the treatment card. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: Double Charting

Good day Melissa ( @musichbusch), 

Support has occasionally heard reports of this occurring for some practices but the issue can never be reproduced consistently.  We believe it is primarily caused by multiple staff having Charting open for the same patient at the same time.  Only one staff member should be editing Charting for any given patient at any given time.  Attempting to edit from multiple PCs may cause visit information to be lost or duplicated. 

The other possible cause, as far as we have been able to determine, is a loss of connectivity to the database at the time the visit details are being saved. If this is a recurring issue for your practice, you may wish to have your office technician review your network settings on your PCs, particularly the clinical PCs where the Charting notes are being saved. 

OrthoTrac Support does have the ability to remove duplicated Charting entries for patients.  If you would like these removed, please contact Support with a list of the patients with the issue and details about which specific entries you need removed.  You may contact us at 866-722-2567  (phone is best for this issue because we will need a connection to your server to make changes in the database). 

Regards,

Phil Carter / Orthotrac Escalations

0 Kudos
musichbusch
Canine II

Thank you for the information. I have done the same and have tried to replicate the double entry but I have not been able to do so.

A few other things I have observed. It seems to only be happening to one specific user. If I am able to check charts that same day the double entries are only 1-3 seconds apart and I can delete the double entry before the end of the day. The last thing I noticed was that sometimes it creates 2 visits and sometimes it is just the 1 visit duplicated? I have confirmed with other staff that charts are not being opened at other workstations, so I am not sure if that is the problem.

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Good day Melissa ( @musichbusch), 

There are no user-specific settings in OrthoTrac specifically that would cause such an issue.  Your mention that it seems to be happening to one specific user suggests one of two things to me:  either that user is doing something to create the issue, or there is a problem with network connectivity on that user's computer.  The latter would be an issue for your office technician to resolve, but the former is something we can only speculate about.  Let me make another suggestion as well:  when your staff is creating an entry in Charting and you click "Save" or "Save and Close", it is only necessary to do so one time.  Clicking repeatedly on the Save or Save and Close button may possibly create multiple Charting entries.  We have VERY occasionally seen this in the past with offices that have slow network connections, where it takes a couple of seconds for Charting to close after you click "Save and Close";  if you click once and nothing happens for a second or two, the user might click again another time or a few more times, and that could possibly produce the duplicate entries.  One click is all that is needed. 

Regards,

Phil Carter / OrthoTrac Escalations

0 Kudos
musichbusch
Canine II

Hi Phil,

The network connection could be slow since workstations are on a wireless network. But we share all the workstations, so this particular user is not always at the same workstation. So it may be a combination of the 2 things, network connection and the user. The user says she hits "apply" then hits "ok" each time she is done with her charting. I have been doing the same thing to try to replicate it also when I am done charting, but it will not do it for me?? We are going to have her just hit "ok" when done charting and hopefully this will solve the problem. 

0 Kudos