cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joedindo
Premolar III

Benefit Recalc Utility Bug?

On the advice of support, we ran the Utility to Recalculate Benefits. It seemed to be a good thing until we ran into 3 patients who's remaining benefits were reset to the maximum incorrectly. Those 3 patients had used their benefits and had $0 benefits remaining. We've manually set them to $0 but my staff is now very nervous that they cannot trust the info in the system. Any ideas/help/advice?

0 Kudos
14 Replies

Re: Benefit Recalc Utility Bug?

Hello Joe

I'm curious as to why you were suggested to run the utility?

The utility will base the used benefits off of what IP entries were entered on their ledgers for their given insurance period. This date is based on Renewal date: field on the employer/plan's estimating benefits table. 

Benefit_Table.png

If I were to run the recalc on my data with that date (10-1) set for that plan, it will calculate any used benefits since the date of Oct first. so if i haven't posted any ins payments for claims after that date yet, it will recalculate the benefits to show they still have all their benefits to use. 

Can you verify the date on those patient's employer/plan estimating table? 

Also, if IP entries were entered onto the ledger for payments, but were not actually connected to the claims they paid on, those payments will not go towards benefits used.

PracticeWorks also can not track used benefits outside of your practice. So unless those entries are on the patient's ledger, it doesn't know they were used. 

If it seems that these scenarios do not fit, I'd want to get in and take a closer look at those patients and see if I can tell why it put them back as all remaining instead of all used.  

Johnathan Downer | Technical Support Analyst
joedindo
Premolar III

Thanks for the quick reply. To answer your question as to why we were told, it was because of a problem in patient's account (that I do not remember) but running the utility fixed that problem. As for the rest of it, yes I checked the patient's ledger and in all cases, the IPs are within the plan renewal and also attached to a claim so they should have been counted but PW did not.
0 Kudos

mmmm, yeah, I'd want one of us to get in there and take a look at it.  I know Robert was going to work with you on another issue,  I'll make sure he's aware to take a look at this as well at the time, if you'd like him to. 

If not, you and I could always set up another time for this issue specifically.

joedindo
Premolar III

Still waiting on Robert...
As for getting in and taking a look, I have no preference. Please let me know what you prefer.
0 Kudos
sonyap
Premolar III

I would appreciate a report that shows what plans are set to renew when.  Being able to select a date (or a range) in that report would be additionally helpful.  I often receive a notice in the Office Expert that tells me I need to reset benefits in months that I know should not be a renewal time.  Obviously someone at some point in time misunderstood what date to put in that field in the patient's plan and it needs to be corrected - but there is no efficient way for me to find it.

joedindo
Premolar III

@sonyap you always make so much sense!

@sonyap @joedindo

I went and ahead and took that as a challenge to see if it would be possible to create a custom expert to pull that information.  The answer is Yes... basically. 

so I went ahead and created and uploaded it to the expert exchange. It'll be located under the FIRST PW Support section, since that is where the ones I upload land.  I titled it "Accounts by Employer Plan Renewal Date".

You'll download and run it and then you'll put in the date range you need. MM-DD-YY format. make sure the year is within the year it's expecting to renew. 

so if it's showing now on the expert, most likely "18" should work.. but if you want a list of those next year as well make sure to put "19" in the To field. for the year

If you have issues with it let me know. 

joedindo
Premolar III

Following up...
Please let me know when you can take a look.
Thanks.
0 Kudos

Hello Doctor. 

I can be available anytime the rest of today, until 6 pm est.  I will be out Thursday and Friday, and of course support will be closed Monday and Tuesday for Christmas observance. I will be in the rest of the week after that from 9 am to 6 pm.  I'd be more then happy to assist during any of those times. 

0 Kudos