cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cabaa99
Canine III

Consolidated count of patients seen during a time period

We want to get the count of patients seen during a time period. The Periodic report seems to show that, but always broken down per producer. Since multiple producers (hygienist and dentist for example) can see the same patient in a day, or even multiple dentists can see the same patient during a week, we can't just add the individual numbers reported because it will double count.

How can we get a consolidated count of patients seen in our office during a time period, regardless of how many times they were seen or by whom they were seen?

29 Replies
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: Consolidated count of patients seen during a time period

Tagging @jdowner and @robertangus

0 Kudos
cabaa99
Canine III

As a follow up question, I’d also like to know how to obtain the list of patients behind such count. We are trying to analyze patient turnover over time. Thanks.

Good morning Aldo,

It sounds like what you need is the Patients by Last Visit Expert from the PracticeWorks Expert Exchange. Before attempting to download this expert, let's first see if it's already installed by going to the Experts Menu>Contact Experts>User Defined. Look for Patients by Last Visit. If it appears here, go ahead and run it by highlighting it and clicking ok. This will give you a list of patients seen during a specific date range and a total count of those patients in the lower left hand corner of the expert.

If you do not already have this expert installed, it can be installed by going to Experts Menu>PracticeWorks Expert Exchange (unless you've change your security defaults, this function usually takes level 10 access to complete)

Expert Exchange menu.png

Once the Expert Exchange window comes up:

Expert Exchange 1.png

Scroll down until you see PW Support and click the "+" next to it to expand.

expert exchange 2.png

Scroll down until you see Patient by Last Visit and add a check in the box next to it.
Uncheck "Install to Tutorial Database".
Click Download. Click "Accept". Click "Ok". Click "Close". Click "Close" again.

Now you should be able to go back to the User Defined Contact Experts as I explained at the top to run this expert.

cabaa99
Canine III

Hi Robert. Just to be sure, will this give me the patients that visited between, for example, 1/1/17 and 12/31/17, even if they have already returned again in 2018?
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Yes and no

It will give you the list of all active patients who's last visit fell during that date range.  Which means, if a patient's last visit is after that date range, even if they did visit during that time, they will not show up on the report. 

-Johnathan

If you run the Patients by Last Visit expert for 01/01/2017 to 12/31/2017, the results would include patients last seen during that time frame. If they've been in again in 2018, they would not show in that list.

Now there is another expert you could download from the PracticeWorks Expert Exchange called "Patients with Appts in Date Range" that can be installed. This expert will provide a list of patients with checked out appointments within a selected date range. However, this expert will list a patient more than once if they have more than one appointment in that timeframe.

cabaa99
Canine III

I see. Then first expert will not fit the bill (I also think we can get similar information by using the built-in Patient List report that goes by first and last visit dates)

The second one we've used before, and as you said duplicates patients, but I think we could massage that in Excel and arrive to the info we need.

As a suggestion, it'd would be great if the periodic report would show a count of unique patients seen during the reporting period, next to the new patient count. 

Thanks.

joedindo
Premolar II

I second that!  We really need to have a simple way to get this kind of data. A count of patients seen during a time period should be easily available to us. 

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

@cabaa99 and @joedindo

As part of my reporting research I wanted to ask a follow up question here. 

Once you have this value, what do you do with it? If you'd rather not post here I'd be happy to have a conversation with you. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos