cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joedindo
Premolar III

Re: Consolidated count of patients seen during a time period

Jump to solution
I’d be able to calculate KPIs using the same data as everyone else to compare our results. I’d also be able to base my expense and productivity ratios on a per patient basis. Does that answer your question?
0 Kudos
cabaa99
Canine III

Jump to solution

There are several indicators that this is useful for. One example is ratio of new patients to returning patients. We get new patients from the Periodic report, but we don't have total count to then determine how many are returning patients during a given period (ex: in 6 months). Looking at this year over year we can tell how well are we doing retaining new patients. There is a lot more about retaining new patients, but this is a basic stat. 

Is also an easy way to analyze workload in the practice to relate to installed capacity, clinical and personnel expenses. 

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

When you say 'per patient basis' are you referring to how your producer's are doing on a per patient basis for a time frame?
Thanks!

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

@cabaa99 & @joedindo

This is great information.

Once you have metrics on retention what kind of actions do/would you take? 

To give you some perspective on why I'm asking these questions, our approach as a design team is to dig down and find out what you need. For instance I'd much rather design and develop a dashboard or report that gives you actionable information versus adding another number (returning patients) to the Periodic report. In order to do this I've got to ask until I've got a deeper understanding of the request. 

Your assistance is greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

By any chance is this the type of KPI you're looking for?

AvgNetProd.jpg

When Line Item Accounting is activated the Estimated Net Production includes a column called Average Net Production Per Producer. It takes the Net Production (Gross Production - Adjustments - Estimated Write Offs*) and divides it by the Patients Seen for the reporting time frame. 

*When Line Item Accounting is activated code specific estimating write offs are not generated at checkout. This report shows a producer what their daily production is if those write offs were factored in. 

0 Kudos
cabaa99
Canine III

Jump to solution

First we want to know what % of patients are new, and correlate that to our marketing investments. We don't want this too low since that means we are not growing.

But too high, as percentage, is a problem too if the revenue is not growing proportionally, because that'd mean too many of the new patients are not coming back (poor retention). In such case, we'd need to analyze why they don't come back (% new pts that leave with recall appointments, number of cancellations vs. total appointments, and even confirmations).

Unfortunately, PW doesn't seem to provide enough insights to follow thru the life of a patient and know easily if they care coming back for recalls but not accepting treatment (and how much), or simply not coming back at all, so I need to find ways to approximate these numbers for a given period of time in order to analyze evolution over periods (like year to year), and correlate to specific factors like changes in fees, changes in capacity (# producers), changes in insurance mix, marketing campaigns, seasonality, etc. 

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

I'm not aware of any single report that provides this information but it might be possible to build one. The original developers incorporated one feature that was ahead of it's time; PracticeScript. A person with the know-how using PracticeScript can create a host of reports and spreadsheets. 

Here's an example of one currently available for download from the Expert Exchange called Monthly Monitors v6:

MMv6.jpg

NOTE: This is from my own test data which is why there are so many #DEV/0! entries. I have nothing in my system from 2017. 

If a member of the staff has any sort of programming background they can create intricate spreadsheets that may give you precisely what you're looking for. If not, we have members of the team that are able to create these. Tagging @debi_peterson as she can provide details. 

This functionality has a lot of potential. The barrier to entry is the initial creation of the contact expert or analysis expert. Once created it can be placed on the Exchange for any PW customer with an active support contract to download and use. 

joedindo
Premolar III

Jump to solution

Yes that is correct - it's for a time period and also by individual producer as well as a group (e.g. all hygienists)

0 Kudos
cabaa99
Canine III

Jump to solution
Btw, do you or @debi_peterson know if there is a field for the contact expert custom reports that would shows the “active/inactive” status of a patient? Need this column when exporting our patient database to CSV/excel.
0 Kudos
joedindo
Premolar III

Jump to solution

Yes as long as the number of patients doesn't include multiple visits within the same period.

0 Kudos