cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joedindo
Premolar III

Re: Consolidated count of patients seen during a time period

Jump to solution

I LOVE Practicescript and have been using it from day 1 (15 years ago). I've developed many custom experts that I export to Excel and copy into my own homegrown "dashboard" spreadsheets. However, I have not been able to determine how to obtain a number of patients seen that doesn't include multiple visits. This is something we had discussed at length back when Allen and gang had their own forum on Lighthouse and there was no resolution for it back then. So unless something has changed, I don't believe Practicescript provides the answer.

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

Once you have that data in a spreadsheet are you able to consolidate/eliminate duplicate entries based on the patient name?

0 Kudos
joedindo
Premolar III

Jump to solution

Yes there is. When you are putting in the Formula within the "Include all records that match", you can include the expression: (Person.Inactive = False) with an AND logical operator

joedindo
Premolar III

Jump to solution

That is a solution however that requires more work and my goal is to reduce work. We should be doing no post processing.  I barely have the time to run the many experts weekly and monthly, export them, bring them into my own spreadsheets AND THEN actually take the time to analyze the results. The most important part is the last part. We should have this data served up to us rather than having us dig through for it...

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

I agree, and that's certainly my goal. 

In the interim, could a macro be created in Excel that would do the work? I have limited experience with them. 

0 Kudos
joedindo
Premolar III

Jump to solution

We use data to run our practice and this particular value allows us to "normalize" the data for proper analysis. Normalizing it around the number of hours leads to inconsistency because staff hours are more than the hours patients are seen. Normalizing around number of visits is valuable and we do use it. But we also need to normalize around number of patients seen. So it would be used to tell me production per patient vs production per new patient on a per producer basis. I would also check periodic repeating procedures to make sure there is compliance. I would determine our internal marketing expenses per patient to ensure we are maximizing returns. And so on...

There is another factor at play and that is many practice evaluations are now being made on a per patient basis. 

joedindo
Premolar III

Jump to solution

My experience with Macros in excel has been less than positive. All it takes is being off by one cell and the entire thing falls apart. The better was would be to use VBA (visual basic) but that's a challenge and it's been phased out in current versions of office. You can go through the steps of defining the data as a table in excel and using the built-in remove duplicates" function but that's just too much work for the many sheets that we would need it for. While I can certainly do it, I don't think my staff can and I am not thrilled about the potential for error and issues. 

cabaa99
Canine III

Jump to solution
I meant the Automation Expert Response Documents, not the Contact Expert.
Just found the answer somewhere else: (Person.Attrib & IsInactiveMask) = 0
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

Understood. Not my area of expertise by any stretch. Thank  you for the response. 

0 Kudos
cabaa99
Canine III

Jump to solution

juriz, I appreciate the interest in trying to understand the underlying reasons for these questions.

Yes, a lot can be done exporting data to Excel and then massaging it. I'm a software developer by training and have done my fair share of C/C++/.Net work, and can tell you that Excel macros are powerful, but tedious, not a reasonable undertaking for 99% of the people using PW. As Joedlindo points out, it's time consuming and prone to errors. Debugging, fine tuning and keeping up to date is not the goal here.

Is also always best to keep the data in the native platform (PW) because once exported it goes stale. Plus is very slow to export a large data set, has to be done normally afterhours, etc.

At this point I have resorted to monthly export our entire patient database to Excel with many custom columns so I can do different types of analysis using Pivot tables (even Google Fusion tables for visual representation of patient geographical distribution sliced in multiple ways). It's great to have that option and the potential is awesome.

However I feel a good amount of it (core) should be offered inside the PW framework. The case in question for this thread, # unique patients seen in a time period, is a very basic stat that exemplifies something that is time consuming and requires advanced skills for most people to figure out, as it stands.

Where Carestream can add value here is to identify what are important KPIs and Best practices to monitor and evaluate performance in the current dental industry, and incorporate such insights into built-in reports that not only provide the actual data, but offer value by showing what are those indicators in the first place, and how to use them. That'd decrease the operational time to get the data and the need for expertise to know what data to get in the first place.