cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joedindo
Premolar III

Hardware Requirements for PW

Jump to solution

I was reviewing the PW hardware requirements for an upcoming tech refresh and was very surprised at them.  We are currently running PW V10 on i3 machines perfectly well but the requirements recommend an i7 CPU and an i5 CPU at minimum.  Why is the recommended config so high?  

With the servers, an i64 CPU is recommended (Dell sells mostly XEON) so even that seems way too high.  

I want to make sure that I do the right thing but this seems like overkill. Any advice on this? 

Here's the link for the requirements: https://www.carestreamdental.com/globalassets/resource-library/practice-management-software/cs-pract... 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jdowner

Re: Hardware Requirements for PW

Jump to solution

Hey Joe

Development has determined our system requirements based on the high likely hood that the office would be using our imaging software as well.  Plus the fact that most computers will be potentially using any other number of applications at the same time, such as email clients, internet browsers, bookkeeping applications, etc.  Due to these potentials, they determined the computers would run best-using i5/i7s or their equivalents.  This doesn't mean that an i3 wouldn't work, but it might not always have the best performance depending on what all is happening on the computer at the time. 

Xeon processors would work fine on the server as they can be equivalents to the i5 and i7 CPUs.  Though they are not always easy to compare because they are made for handling processing loads a good bit different. Xeons usually are designed more for servers that are needing to multitask and require a lot of processing cores to do it, while the i5/i7 and their AMD equivalents are more designed for processing power being dedicated to a few running apps at a time. I wouldn't expect a server that is running the active director, Domain controller, email exchange server, and PracticeWorks, among potentially other things to be using an i5/i7, xeon would be the best for those needs.  If you plan to get a server through Dell, their xeon processors would be fine. 

The high specs are also not also meant to make it so that an application runs faster as much as it's meant to mean the performance can continue to be consistent even when the computer is currently in the process of having multiple programs running that the CPU is having to process at the same time. 

Johnathan Downer | Technical Support Analyst

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
katpat
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

Contact PW support at 800 603 4438 and they will be able to guide you.

0 Kudos
joedindo
Premolar III

Jump to solution

I've been talking to someone @ support for the last 15 minutes and she simply does not know how to answer the questions.  It took ten minutes to get to the point of her determining that she needs to get me in touch with someone who can answer my questions.  

Why can't the question be answered on this forum?  

0 Kudos
joedindo
Premolar III

Jump to solution

Apparently, after more than 35 minutes of talking to the support people, there is no explanation for any of this other than those are the recommended specs. This is, of course, utter nonsense. As a comparison, neither Dentrix nor opendental spec the hardware anywhere near this high. Also, the spec for an i7 server cannot be met as Dell sells Xeon CPUs. 

Clearly, there was no thought put into writing proper specs.

And given that we are currently running PW on core 2 duo machines without trouble, why do you need an i7.  My own PC runs i7 and it runs PW no faster or better than the core 2 duo machines.

0 Kudos
jdowner

Jump to solution

Hey Joe

Development has determined our system requirements based on the high likely hood that the office would be using our imaging software as well.  Plus the fact that most computers will be potentially using any other number of applications at the same time, such as email clients, internet browsers, bookkeeping applications, etc.  Due to these potentials, they determined the computers would run best-using i5/i7s or their equivalents.  This doesn't mean that an i3 wouldn't work, but it might not always have the best performance depending on what all is happening on the computer at the time. 

Xeon processors would work fine on the server as they can be equivalents to the i5 and i7 CPUs.  Though they are not always easy to compare because they are made for handling processing loads a good bit different. Xeons usually are designed more for servers that are needing to multitask and require a lot of processing cores to do it, while the i5/i7 and their AMD equivalents are more designed for processing power being dedicated to a few running apps at a time. I wouldn't expect a server that is running the active director, Domain controller, email exchange server, and PracticeWorks, among potentially other things to be using an i5/i7, xeon would be the best for those needs.  If you plan to get a server through Dell, their xeon processors would be fine. 

The high specs are also not also meant to make it so that an application runs faster as much as it's meant to mean the performance can continue to be consistent even when the computer is currently in the process of having multiple programs running that the CPU is having to process at the same time. 

Johnathan Downer | Technical Support Analyst

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
joedindo
Premolar III

Jump to solution

thanks for the explanation

0 Kudos