cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joedindo
Premolar III

Help - PracticeWorks does not start on workstations

It's Sunday and I came in to do some paperwork only to discover that I cannot start PW on any workstation. It starts on the server. I can connect to the server from any workstation. The license key is running but I restarted it. I restarted the server. I restarted the workstations. Nothing is helping. 

I hope someone can give me an idea of some troubleshooting steps before Monday.
Thanks.

248-613-4640.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
joedindo
Premolar III

Re: Help - PracticeWorks does not start on workstations

Very strange - I swapped in an old router and rebooted everything and now it works.

But then I swapped routers WITHOUT rebooting anything and everything still works.

However, when I reboot the server, it stops working.  I need to swap back the old router and reboot for it to work. 

Strange because everything else works with both routers.

Here's the error message. Any idea why this is going on?

error.jpg

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Tagging @robertangus and @jdowner for follow up.

Error 3012's are Pervasive status codes. That particular one indicates a network drop/disconnect (even if for a moment). Are you able to navigate through the mapped drive to the server on the workstation receiving the message?

0 Kudos
joedindo
Premolar III

What I remember is that I was able to use other apps running off the server (Softcom, XV, & ClaimX) & I was able to ping the server as well as open some files on the server. I don't remember specifically about the mapped drive although I remember vaguely that I tried it once successfully; however, I am not positive.
Is that the litmus test?
0 Kudos
johnsonchris84
Canine II

Static IP for the server?

0 Kudos
joedindo
Premolar III

Hmmm.  I don't think so. The router gives out IP addresses via DHCP and I am not clear on how it decides what IP to give out. Regardless, I was under the impression that PW doesn't rely on the IP address of a server or workstations...

johnsonchris84
Canine II

to get to the server it might, I have had situations with my system that we had to direct PW to the server IP verse its name, which happens to be server in my office, as Windows gets upgraded.  One day a workstation just stops. I have this in my notes:

windows 10, use C:\windows\SysWOW64\ODBCAD32.exe to point TCIP to host=(your server IP)

this might not be your problem and I have no idea why a change in router would help.  I can see the old router assigning a static IP to server, then when you restart the server with new router doesn't work, to me I think IP.

0 Kudos
joedindo
Premolar III

I have to wait till Friday when we are closed to try this out. I can setup the server's network adaptor to use the same IP so that the new router doesn't mess with that. I guess I have to reserve it in the router table too. But what I am not clear on why I'd want to use the data source tool on the workstation; can you shed some light on that?
0 Kudos
joedindo
Premolar III

Turns out that the problem was the firewall on the server. 

Can someone from support please email me instructions on how to configure the firewall to allows PW services to come through?  Thanks.

joe@brbdds.com

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Tagging @robertangus and @jdowner

0 Kudos