cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xdmfan
Canine II

Practiceworks doesn't connect

The server rebooted last night and took over an hour to reboot, doing all kinds of updates and apparently clean-up of winsxs.  After all was said and done, Practiceworks doesn't.  I'm new to this and am trying to fix before they get in shortly, just discovered this forum.  Client PCs say they cannot connect to the server, drive mappings good, Pworks directory on server seems intact, and is not on the OS drive anyway.  Help!  I don't know if a service isn't working, which of the several database engines on the server it uses, etc.  There was one service for MTM Mobile that won't start, but that doesn't sound like it's for desktop client use.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
xdmfan
Canine II

Re: Practiceworks doesn't connect

I should add V8, running on Windows 2008 R2.  Client gets a box that says "License Login Problem"  A timeout error occurred while connecting to the server.

0 Kudos
xdmfan
Canine II

Okay, crisis averted.  They came in this morning, couldn't get in, rebooted server, and got in.  I rebooted the server multiple times myself, so no idea.  I was starting to hope and pray it maybe was some kind of time-based access, but they said no.  I'll talk to support when they open to learn a little something about how this works, database engine, etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

ok Let us know if you are still having issues. 

Version 9 is out you may want to update!

0 Kudos

Good morning

I'm glad to hear they are back up. Just as a potential as to why you rebooting the server didn't work while their rebooting did.  The Pwsvr.exe license key (gold key) will not run if someone is connected to the server via Microsoft Remote Desktop (RDP).  If you were remoting in to the server using that method, that would explain why they would still get the time out errors. 

Also, Windows has to fully log in for the gold key to start, and cannot be logged out, only locked.