cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
familydental27
Canine II

Re: Record Locking Discussion

I should add that we are using Softdent. Not sure if that makes a difference in this conversation. If it does, then disregard

bonanzaeast
Canine II

We have the above mentioned issues as well. Additionally, while I am checking out a patient and try go to the transactions window in order to print an outstanding claim, it will say that someone is already in the patient's chart. When in fact-it is me!!!

Why doesn't it recognize that I am the one that is already in the chart? I then have to close out all of the screens until I am completely out of every screen and start the process all over again. It gets really annoying when I have a patient simply trying to check out and I am having to close out/pull everything back up again. It should be able to recognize that I am already in the chart and jump back to that screen in order to print the claim, instead of opening up a new transaction list and which will not allow me into the Outstanding claims window.

sonyap
Premolar III

Not to oversimplify things, but it looks like the solution is to make charting accessible some other way than through the clipboard.  We have this "overbundling" issue in other areas with PracticeWorks too, which puts major restraints on what individuals can & cannot do.

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jennifer,

Thank you for responding. Once SoftDent v17 is released and you have it installed, this will no longer be an issue. We're working on this for PracticeWorks and need to focus on the most common workflows that lead to records locking. If any other scenarios come to mind please post here (even though it's PracticeWorks!)

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Kara,

Thank you for the response. In this case it makes no difference; whether you are using PracticeWorks or SoftDent the art of running a practice is the same. The software either helps or hinders you. In this case record locking is hindering and we are addressing it. You'll receive relief with the release of v17 of SoftDent. We'll post more in the SoftDent area as the day approaches. The first beta offices are installing next week. 

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

This stems from the type of record locking implemented in the software. The original intent is to ensure records don't get overwritten and the data's integrity is maintained. The unfortunate side effect is certain workflows become difficult or impossible. 

At this point we need to enable these workflows to make your job easier. This feedback will help tremendously as we begin development work on this. 

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

I initially thought the same thing. Our lead developer explained that wasn't possible, but there are other ways to address this that result in the desired outcome.

Can you elaborate on the overbundling issue? I want to make sure I'm on the same page. 

sonyap
Premolar III

The "overbundling" comes in to play with many reports.  For example, if one of the receptionists needs to find out if there are any other patients that would be affected by changes made to an insurance company or employer, they need to run the "Insured parties by employer" or "Insured parties by insurance company" report.  If they need to send thank you's to the people who referred new patients from last month, they would need to run the patient list "file - print - patient - patient list".  However, because that report is bundled in with other reports that the employees are not to have access to (time cards, adjustment/comment summary, etc.) they cannot do that basic part of their job and I have to do it for them every time.  

carolyn621
Premolar I

We have very similar problems with being locked out. Typical incidents include, i.e.,a)  clinical entering patient tx plan limits the ability to check out or b) clinical team has charged out but waits while front office is checking out to enter notes - WHAM - front is locked out because the clinical gets access. 

Major problem is the treatment plan that is currently in use by the clinical can not be accessed by anyone else even when the chart is suspended (we want to view before printing for various reasons). A work around is copy the treatment into a new plan - this is a waste of time and if its not removed then it screws up outstanding #treatment plans. If someone else has a faster and efficient way of doing this, I would love to know.

Carolyn Barnett

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Thanks for the response Carolyn,

I want to be sure I'm clear on the scenarios you listed. 

1. The clinical staff complete treatment but keep the chart open. This keeps the front from completing checkout. 

2. The clinical staff cannot complete notes because the front is completing checkout. 

3. Only one user can view a treatment plan simultaneously. 

Is this correct?

Thank you!

0 Kudos