cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Premolar III

Running PW from a PC connected via VPN from home

I wanted to see if this was a viable connection method as opposed to Remote Desktop so I tried it and it's nowhere near as good. I appreciate that it comes down to internet speeds etc but the performance difference between VPN and Remote Desktop is like the proverbial turtle-hare comparison. For example on VPN , it takes about 90 seconds to start PW, 120 seconds to run a time card report and 45 seconds to load the schedule for a future date (10 columns). The pick list takes about 40 seconds to come up and opening someone's clipboard takes about 30 seconds.  In comparison, when going through Remote Desktop is like being right there. I'm using the VPN service provided through our Netgear router's hardware and it's really cool to have your PC be on the office LAN while you're @ home, it's simply not practical for PW.  

Does anyone have better results or another approach other than Remote Desktop?

4 Replies
Highlighted
Premolar I

Re: Running PW from a PC connected via VPN from home

Are you using the built-in Windows remote desktop? I have been using chrome remote desktop which can be slow at times but since I remote in from a Chromebook it was the easiest to set up. I would love to hear other solutions too for working from home.
Highlighted
Premolar III

I've used ALL Remote Desktop solutions including chrome, windows, remotepc, logmein, TeamViewer, and VNC. My favorite is chrome for ease of setup, security, and not having to monkey around with the router ports.
Highlighted
Premolar I

Thanks Joe. Did you change any of your connection settings?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Premolar III

With Chrome Remote? The only settings I am aware of are the session options that pop up on the left side of the screen. For those, I am using it full screen, scale to fit, resize to fit, smooth scaling.