cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Premolar III

Testing Backup Server

Today, I tested our backup server to do a dry run on it. I took the main server off line and brought the  backup server online. Although the server was visible and other apps ran without a problem (XV & Softcom), PW would not start. I tried various things including, rebooting everything, turning off the firewall on the backup server, & using the same IP address on the backup server as the main server but no luck. The license server is running on the backup server as are the pervasive services. Not sure what else to do. Would love some suggestions on what to try next.

The PW start up error is in the attached image.

IMG_0069.JPG

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Testing Backup Server

Joe, 

The error 161 is a max number of users exceeded message as you probably don't have any active licensing on it at the moment.

If you are using Pervasive SQL11 SP3, chances are your pervasive licensing isn't installed on your backup server as the keys can only be registered on one server at a time.  

The server, when originally set up, most likely worked initially as the first-time Pervasive install put a 30-day 20-user temp license in place. That license has since expired leaving you with no active licensing.

This could be verified by launching the Pervasive Licensing Administrator to see active licensing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Premolar III

Thanks for the info. That sounds like that it would be the problem. How do I activate that server? I know that I can look up the product key from the active server but can I activate the backup server with the same key?
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Joe,

To move the licensing to the backup server, you would have to deauthorize it on your server first, basically breaking your current server. Then authorize it on your backup server. Then after the test, deauthorize and authorize again to move it back to your active server.

Each key has a limited number of times it can be it can be deauthorized/reauthorized though, so I wouldn't recommend that route if you plan to test this server on a regular basis. You may want to reach out to sales about purchasing a 1 user permanent key to dedicate to this backup server if you plan on testing it regularly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Premolar III

I intend for this to be a one time test where I actually take the active server online and bring on the backup server.

I have two questions though: in a real life situation where the active server is dead, how would I deauthorize the licenses first?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Premolar III

Also, please see the attached screen grab of the license server. Can I deauthorize the circled one and use it on the backup server as opposed to deauthorizing both the licenses?

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 9.17.58 AM.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Joe,

Each server has to have a permanent key, the user count increase licenses can not function on their own.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Premolar III

So if I am reading your reply correctly, it would be the first one that I would have to deauthorize to use on the backup server. Correct?
0 Kudos
Highlighted

yes, you would need to move the deauthorize the permanent key and then authorize it on your backup server. Then once done testing, deauthorize it on your backup server and the authorize it again on your current server.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Premolar III

I'm going to call support because it's still not working.  I'm now getting timeout errors since I've activated pervasive.  It won't even start on the server - just hangs.

0 Kudos