cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kpratt
Canine III

Windows 7 not being supported in 2020. Update to Windows 10

So the buzz is that Windows 7 will no longer be supported in 2020. This creates security issues and makes us non HIPAA compliant.

Has anyone else heard this?

Since we have older computers that may not run Windows 10 and we will probably be purchasing some new equipment, I am interested in what other offices use in the operatories (computer, laptop, tablet) to help the clinical staff perform more efficiently.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Windows 7 not being supported in 2020. Update to Windows 10

Hello @kpratt 

I'm not sure when Microsoft announced the end of life for Windows 7, but It's been close to a year at this point that this knowledge has been out there.   But yes, as of Jan 14, 2020, Windows 7 and Server 2008 will no longer be supported and updated by Microsoft.  This does make both of those operating systems no longer HIPAA compliant. 

We suggest at this point that offices update to Windows 10 professional for workstations, and Server 2012 or 2016 for the server.

However, I did a quick lookup and confirmed the end of life for Windows 8 and server 2012 will be in January of 2023.

Johnathan Downer | Technical Support Analyst
kpratt
Canine III

Does Carestream have any recommendations on the computers for operatories?

0 Kudos

as far as it's make and model of computer?  no we do not have any official recommendations for this. As long as the machines meet the system requirements it does not make a difference who manufactured it. 

You can find our system requirements on our webpage located here.

epic
Canine II

@jdowner wrote:

We suggest at this point that offices update to Windows 10 professional for workstations, and Server 2020 or 2016 for the server.

I assume you mean Server 2019 or 2016? We are an IT provider and installed a Server 2019 server for a client recently, but were told it is unsupported by pervasive. Is this still true?

@kpratt
They ended mainstream support for Windows 7 in 2015 which is around the time they started pushing the free/automatic Windows 10 upgrades. It was about this year that they started ramping up the upgrade messages to everyone.

As for computers, as @jdowner mentioned, check the system requirements PDF to see what works. Which brand is best is largely subjective, I suggest contacting your IT provider to see who has the best bang for your buck that they will support.

Eric K
Epic Technology Solutions

Eric K
Epic Technology Solutions
0 Kudos

@epic 

you are correct, I missed type and hit 2020. I'll edit my reply and correct that. Thanks for catching it. 

It should have read as Server 2012 or 2016.  We do not officially support CS PracticeWorks on Server 2019 as of yet.

0 Kudos