cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Canine II

moving from V8.1 to V10

Jump to solution

Should I prepare for any hardware, OS or PSQL upgrades if updating from V8.1 to V.10?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: moving from V8.1 to V10

Jump to solution

yes, there is currently a known issue in v10 that a handful of offices are experiencing where when launching the charting module it does ask for the login credentials again, and for a few of those where it doesn't display the graphics to enter the credentials correctly.  This requires the charting module (pwchart.exe process) to be force closed and then reloaded.  It is being looked into by development for a solution. 

The change made to the software that forces the full-screen overlay for logging in was made as a security setting that cannot be disabled.  This was added to make the software more compliant with HIPAA requirements. You can view the What's new in v10.0 here.

There is a potential soft fix (band-aid) for this issue at the moment.  There is a setting under File > Preferences > Miscellaneous Defaults.  The section is titled "This workstation is used for   Office management | Clinical" and has a button for Set idle time values...  Inside this button, you can increase the idle time values.  We have found that raising these times up has reduced and even for some offices completely stopped the issue from happening.  Our suggestion is to have it greater than 60 minutes.  But you'd be welcome to set those times to higher values, maxing out at 1440 minutes or 24 hours.

You are welcome to update to v9.1 if you choose.  I'd suggest 9.1 over 9.0 due to some defects being corrected in 9.1 that were unexpectedly introduced in v9.0 due to the changes in the way record locking worked.  But yes in v9.0 and newer it is possible to have a chart open in the back and still checkout a patient in the front. 

v10.1 is right around the corner from being released as well. Most likely within the next 2-3 weeks.  You can check out the What's new thread here. Unfortunately, though the issue with the prompting for login credentials was not able to be addressed in this version. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions. 

Johnathan Downer | Technical Support Analyst

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

In order to answer this question, we would need to know what hardware specs, Windows OS version, and Pervasive SQL version you are currently running.

you can also find our current system requirements located here https://www.carestreamdental.com/en-us/resource-library/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Canine II

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Canine II

Jump to solution

most workstations are W10 pro however we had to downgrade some to W7 pro for compatibility issues with some older IO sensors

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Ok with what you are currently running, you are fine to update to PracticeWorks v10 without issue. 

Just a word of caution with still running Windows 7 machines. Since they are no longer supported and updated by Microsoft, they are no longer HIPAA compliant. Within the next few versions of PracticeWorks we will no longer be able to support installing onto Windows 7 machines as well. 

But at this time, you can update without issue in regards to specs and Pervasive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Canine II

Jump to solution

thank you!

I read some posts re requirement to login when opening a chart which I suspect will be really annoying following the upgrade.

May I suggest you control whether to allow it or not in the CS configuration preferences?

if it is impossible then probably I will be happy with V9.0 update only since as I understand it allows the super feature of allowing the clipboard to open while the chart is open... a fantastic feature and much needed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

yes, there is currently a known issue in v10 that a handful of offices are experiencing where when launching the charting module it does ask for the login credentials again, and for a few of those where it doesn't display the graphics to enter the credentials correctly.  This requires the charting module (pwchart.exe process) to be force closed and then reloaded.  It is being looked into by development for a solution. 

The change made to the software that forces the full-screen overlay for logging in was made as a security setting that cannot be disabled.  This was added to make the software more compliant with HIPAA requirements. You can view the What's new in v10.0 here.

There is a potential soft fix (band-aid) for this issue at the moment.  There is a setting under File > Preferences > Miscellaneous Defaults.  The section is titled "This workstation is used for   Office management | Clinical" and has a button for Set idle time values...  Inside this button, you can increase the idle time values.  We have found that raising these times up has reduced and even for some offices completely stopped the issue from happening.  Our suggestion is to have it greater than 60 minutes.  But you'd be welcome to set those times to higher values, maxing out at 1440 minutes or 24 hours.

You are welcome to update to v9.1 if you choose.  I'd suggest 9.1 over 9.0 due to some defects being corrected in 9.1 that were unexpectedly introduced in v9.0 due to the changes in the way record locking worked.  But yes in v9.0 and newer it is possible to have a chart open in the back and still checkout a patient in the front. 

v10.1 is right around the corner from being released as well. Most likely within the next 2-3 weeks.  You can check out the What's new thread here. Unfortunately, though the issue with the prompting for login credentials was not able to be addressed in this version. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions. 

View solution in original post