cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kirkdental57
Canine II

Removing a printer in Practiceworks?

We recently had a printer break, and we purchased a new one. The old printer remained as an option to print to in the charting module. Is there a way to remove the old printer as an option?

I know you can change the default printer through the Practiceworks Software Configuration option, but we would like to limit the in-chart options anyway.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: Removing a printer in Practiceworks?

Good morning Dr. Kirk,

If you're running v8.x the only printers displayed should be the ones available in Windows. 

As you can see here PracticeWorks and Windows display the same available printers:

Windows Printers

Print From Chart

If you're running a version prior to 8.x you'll need to clear the entry from your .ini file, located in the Pworks directory on the local machines. 

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
kirkdental57
Canine II

That is what I thought should happen as well, but we have about 6 or so printers as an option in Practiceworks that do not exist in Windows. 

We are running version 8 as well. 

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Dr. Kirk,

Discussed this with my peers. We wondered if the old printer's drivers are still listed in Windows? Also, what are you attempting to print from the chart?

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Dr. Kirk,

I can give your office a call directly if needed, but I'm guessing this issue is happening on your server. Probably 2008 or 2012 Server as the Operating System. The entries in question are probably the result of residual redirected printer entries in your registry from Remote Desktop connections in the past. It's a known issue with Server 2008 and 2012 that these entries are not being removed when the remote user disconnects their session.

As a result, these registry entries for existing printers continue to show up in PracticeWorks as a choice. These entries can be manually removed from your registry to address the issue and there are patches available on the Microsoft websites to address it for future.

The most common places to find these entries in your registry are listed below, but there are other locations they can be as well.

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Printerports\
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Devices\

Here is a link for a hotfix for Server 2008. I'm still looking for the one for Server 2012 and will post it if I can find it.

kirkdental57
Canine II

Thank you!

0 Kudos