cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmslaug2
Canine III

Server upgrade

Jump to solution

Our office consists of 1 dentist, 1.5 hygienists, 1 assistant and 2.5 office staff with 4 operatories.  Until now we have used a desktop computer as a server but it is time to upgrade.  Can anyone give me feedback on a small server?  I have been looking at this one:  https://www.amazon.com/Newest-Flagship-Dell-PowerEdge-Business/dp/B073XSHZYS/?tag=obrorg-20 

Also, does PracticeWorks support Windows Server 2012 Essential Edition?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Server upgrade

Jump to solution

Tammie

Here is a link to our current system requirements. If the operating system is not listed in here, it is not currently recommended.

http://www.carestreamdental.com/us/en/support/SupportInfo#DocumentationSmiley Very Happyocumentation:1

joedindo
Premolar I

Jump to solution

I'm not from Carestream but it looks fine to me. However, be advised that it does NOT come with an operating system which means you need to buy one in addition to buying the server. Just want to make sure you're aware of that...  Great deal though!

tmslaug2
Canine III

Jump to solution

Is Windows Server 2012 Essentials Edition not an option?

0 Kudos
tmslaug2
Canine III

Jump to solution

I already had the specs, just wanted some feedback.  We are a very small office with limited IT budget.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Tammie,

Server 2012 Essentials is not currently a recommended OS for PracticeWorks. I don't know specifics as to why it is not recommended, though I know there are many differences between Standard and Essentials editions of server 2012. Limitations on number of users, must be set up as Domain Controller, can't use terminal services, and has a lower cap on RAM to name a few. 

I do know there was extensive testing done in the 2012 environment and if it's not recommended, I'm sure Development found something in essentials edition that interferes with or could cause issues with Pervasive or PracticeWorks.

0 Kudos