cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mbusinelle
Canine III

Update sheet for appointments

Is there a way that when a patient comes in to the office we can hand them a form to make sure all of their information is correct, including address, telephone number and also Medical information and medications?  Thanks for any information

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jeanspears
Premolar I

Re: Update sheet for appointments

We print a daily batch of route slips for each patient.  When they check in at the front desk the route slip is used to verify address, phone, insurance, premed taken, name change, etc. Any changes are noted on the route slip and then we update the clipboard before they go to the treatment room. The providers are typically the ones who go over medical history updates in the treatment room.  But if  a patient informs the front desk of any changes in their medical history, those changes are noted on the route slip as well.  The providers enter any medical updates into a form in patient chart back there and patients really seem to like that better for privacy reasons.  Typically the only medical question I ask up front is if they took premed if needed. Not sure if you utilize the yellow post its in PW? You can select to have whatever you put on them print onto the route slip as well.  We like to use them to communicate to each other for info such as a patient may have recently lost a spouse and you want the provider to know that but it's not something you want to "announce out loud" in front of the patient but rather keep it private.  We also use route slips when confirming - so during the call a patient may state that they are pregnant and don't want x-rays - that info gets written onto the route slip and the provider sees it when they take the patient back to the treatment room.   We've used them that way since day 1 with PW in 2003 and when we went chart-less we discussed ways to eliminate them but everyone agreed that we really like to use the route slips for various ways of communication and updating patient info so we still use them.

Hello @mbusinelle

Sorry for just now replying to your thread. I saw it during the maintenance while switching to the new site, and then it slipped my mind to reply once we were back up. My apologies. 

The tips given by Jean are very helpful for ways of using sticky notes and for a way to keep medical history up to date when the questions are asked directly by the frontdesk or provider in the back. 

However, if you are wanting to be able to print out the a medical history form, that also shows previous info just to confirm what is already recorded, we do have a two ways of doing this. 

The first method is to use the Forms within PracticeWorks and then have it so a custom document will print out and pull the information from the last form used. This will require the information to manually be added by someone back into an updatable copy of the form in the patient's history.

The second option is to use the eForms module, which takes advantage of using an iPad that patients in the lobby can use to fill out their updated forms on. Once the form is updated on it, the new information will be saved automatically back into the patient's history and forms section. The eForms module does have an extra cost associated to it for support, and requires the office to be running on PracticeWorks v7.5 or higher to use. 

I am more then happy to either set up a time to call you as well to go over information for either of these set ups. Or if you want to go ahead and look further into trying eForms, I can have your sales rep reach out to you. 

-Johnathan

mbusinelle
Canine III

Thank you so much.  We are currently in the middle of a server upgrade and our next step will be eforms.  I think this will help with this tremendously.  

0 Kudos
tmslaug2
Canine III

We created a document through Experts>Automation Experts>Responses>Documents then auto-linked it through Contact Expert>Appt Confirm/Review.  We usually run this at the end of the day for the next working day, include confirmed as part of the criteria, then Actions>All Displayed Records.  Once the document is linked, the Update Form is displayed as an option and we print it for all scheduled patients.  Alternatively, if a patient is added to the schedule once they are printed, we linked it to the Actions button on the Clipboard and can print the Update form individually.  

Here is the information our document pulls:

Patient Information Update  {SysDateWODay}

Chart #  {PatChartNum}

Last Appointment: {PatLastVisit}

NAME:         {PatFName} {PatLName}

ADDRESS:  {PatAddr} {PatAddr2}

{PatCity} {PatState} {PatZip}

HOME:   {PatHPhone}   

CELL:    {PatCPhone}   

WORK:   {PatWPhone1}

EMAIL:   {PatEmail}

INSURED'S EMPLOYER: {PIEmpName}

INSURANCE: {PICoName}

RESPONSIBLE PARTY: {RespFName} {RespLName}

RP PHONE: {RespHPhone}

RP CELL: {RespCPhone}

vchop
Canine III

We just completed a server update AND added eForms. So far I love eForms, and we do have an iPad in office for patients to sign and update or initially fill out information.

There is one issue we did run in to and I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this. I can send out eForms manually without a hithc. BUT the automatic daily send out of eForms fails every time due to an error opening ExclusiveFile in the Pervasive database.

Numerous tries at a fix with tech, including uninstalling and reinstalled eForms have failed to fix this problem.

0 Kudos
jenteeth
Canine II

hi!  I was reading the replies to this question & saw your answer.  How do we go about making a document using your 1st option?

0 Kudos
jeanspears
Premolar I

To print an entire day's route slips you need to have the day's schedule you want to print them for (example - if today is Wednesday, August 22 and you need to print tomorrow's (for August 23) you need to be on that day in your schedule.  Then you select File - Print - Appointments - Route slips.  All the route slips for that day will print.  You can also print them individually per patient by right clicking on appointment and select Route Slip and one will print just for that patient.  There is a lot of info on the route slips that PracticeWorks predefined but you can choose which procedure codes print on it (under List-Transaction codes - Edit - check box to "print on route slip").  You can also set up under the configuration screen to print referral info & last x-ray dates on them (Go to green Configuration Screen - Preferences - Printing - Route slips - choose to have either of those options print on route slips). 

A lot of times we will attach yellow sticky notes either to an appointment or on the clipboard and you can select to have those print on the route slip as well.