cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jburke
Canine II

Local Admin permissions

Hi 

We have been removing local admin permissions from users in the practices. There are however some issues with R4 being able to run and update?

We have two issue we come across and wanted to know if there is a way round this that anyone has come up with?

1. Printing a document saves a local copy in the program files\kodak dental systems\kodak r4 location. under your userid, as a standard user you do not have write permissions to this location, Should this not be saved in programdata folder instead 
  2. Update R4 runs and updates files and registers dlls and ocx's. Does anybody have the list of what this does and then we can apply the correct permissions to the correct locations?

Thanks

James

Labels (1)
3 Replies
lukedarnell
Canine II

Re: Local Admin permissions

Hi James,

Thank you for your questions.

We will review your note about the program data repository; this is something that has only been available in later versions of Windows.

The Update R4 function checks the version of the system and makes sure all corresponding files are downloaded from the server. It also registers supporting files for the application.

If you would like a detailed list of those DLL and OCX files which are registered please feel free to contact me direct and I can provide you with a these.

Kind Regards,
Luke.

jburke
Canine II

Thanks Luke 

Do you have a list of what it checks to compare the version compared to the local copy and then what files it copies down as well? This would be handy to know as we should be able to replicate the function via an elevated login.

Do you know if R4 needs to write anything else other than to the program files folder?

Thanks

James

0 Kudos
lukedarnell
Canine II

Hi James, 

I will contact you direct so we can discuss this further and provide more detail. 

Thanks
Luke