cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ruth
Canine II

Patient Debt Write Off

Hi, I need to write off some patient debts that I am unable to recover. Can you please advise the best way I can do this to tidy up my practice finances?

Thank you

0 Kudos
8 Replies
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: Patient Debt Write Off

Hello Ruth,

Thank you for your question, I would suggest adding a 'bad debtor' marker, this marks the patient as having a bad debt and 'hides' their balance (effectively zeroing it). The balance is then available again when/if the 'bad debtor' marker is removed.

Adding a 'bad debtor' marker means patients will no longer appear on patient debt reports such as patient billing. To add the 'bad debtor' marker follow the below steps.

1. Load the personal details of the patient you want to mark as a 'bad debtor'.

2. Click on [Options] - [Bad Debtor]

3. A drop down box will appear, select the patient's 'normal' dentist.

Once the 'bad debtor' marker has been applied there will be a new icon in the patient's marker tray and you will notice their balance shows as zero. An entry will also be created in the audit log to show that the bad debtor marker was applied to the patient and by who/when.

Hope the above helps.

Kind Regards

Jon

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Hi Jon,

I have a guide that might help Ruth with her query.

Hope this helps Ruth Smiley Very Happy

Kind Regards

Kirsty 

pps2pay
Canine II

Would this process be the same for a manager to send patients to a collections agency? We are trying to sort out patients with outstanding balances that have been past due for X amount of month with a minimum balance of $50. The reports being sent are huge and we don't know how to sort them. Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Good Morning,
Do you currently use the billing function in R4 for sending out overdue account letters?
Kirsty
0 Kudos
Ruth
Canine II

Thank you Jon & Kirsty, this is a great help Smiley Happy 

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Hi pps2pay,

Here is a guide you might find useful.

It explains how to search for patients with an outstanding balance by the age of the debit and generate correspondence.

If you require any further help, please get in touch.

Kind regards

Kirsty

Highlighted
pritiv
Canine III

So which report shows that I have written these balances off? Surely the accountant will need to see that I have done this too?
0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Hi pritiv,
By using the Bad debtor function, this application mutes the outstanding balance in the patient’s financial tab rather than getting rid of it completely.
Therefore, it doesn't show in any of the financial reports.
The reason being is, if the patient was to come back to the practice and you removed the bad debtor function, the balance would be displayed again, allowing you to collect the payment.
There is a query you can run, “Patients that are marked as bad debtors" which will list the patients but not the outstanding balance.
You would have to go into the patients file for the outstanding balance information.
I hope this answers your question.
Kind regards
Kirsty