cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kayj139
Premolar I

Patient charge for Fluoride varnish application in Under 25's and 60's + over.

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Over here in Wales, we are providing fluoride varnish for patients, but as our under 25's and 60's and over do not pay for their examinations the charge for fluoride varnish is a bit of a sticky situation.

We have been advised by our Health Board and Carestream helpdesk that the latest update to our software should have stopped the patient charge for the fluoride varnish application.  Not so in our case I'm afraid.

As we have to record all these applications and reach a certain target as a condition of our contract etc, we are wondering if any other practice is in the same situation.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cophin
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: Patient charge for Fluoride varnish application in Under 25's and 60's + over.

Jump to solution

Hi,

Please be aware that the steps mentioned here are just a temporary workaround, a late Regulatory Change Request was issued which came into effect restrospectively from April 2021 regarding this as part of the Contract Reform Restart.

We are currently working on implementing this and it will be available in the next release (v8.1.8) before the end of September 2021 so will be available in-time for the End of October 2021 deadline stipulated to all DPMS suppliers by the Board.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
matthewbridge
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: Patient charge for Fluoride varnish application in Under 25's and 60's + over.

Jump to solution

Hi @kayj139,

Many thanks for your post.

You would need to amend these claims on an individual basis, after the course has been completed and the EDI claim window has loaded at bottom right where the charge is showing you can override the charge and mark as free treatment.

Once this has been overridden, press Apply and this will remove the charge from the patient financial screen.

Regards

Matt

0 Kudos
kayj139
Premolar I

Jump to solution

We have ticked the override box on our claims, but unfortunately, they are being sent back from the NHSBSA as a patient charge is scheduled !?, so we are receiving the 1 UDA but we are now not receiving the £14.70 from the NHSBSA or from the patient ?!!?

I have spoken to the carestream helpdesk on several occasions and they do now admit that it is a glitch in the program which will be sorted at the next update.  But no idea when that will be, and to just adjust the claims as settled.  But is this the case as the £14.70 is not being paid - by anyone!?

Is it only us who has noticed this?  Am I getting the wrong end of the stick? When the claim is returned as adjusted it says in the response under patient charge - scheduled = £14.70, remission = £0.00 and expected = £0.00.  Does this mean that the charge is being paid by the NHSBSA?

Sorry but I am really confusing myself - any help will be gratefully received

0 Kudos
Dave_P
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @kayj139,

Many thanks for your post. 

This is a defect and at this moment it will be fixed in 8.1.8. Sometimes more urgent issue will take priority however  please see the work around below. 

You would need to amend these claims on an individual basis, after the course has been completed and the EDI claim window has loaded at bottom right where the charge is showing you can override the charge and mark as free treatment.

Once this has been overridden, press Apply and this will remove the charge from the patient financial screen.

Regards

0 Kudos
stephen_skelton

Jump to solution

Hi,

I know that this does not resolve the issue with regards to removing the patient charge for the fluoride varnish application, but you mention that you have to keep a record of these applications as you have a target set as part of your contract.

Did you know that you can use the Management Reports feature in R4 to find out how many times this treatment has been completed?

1. From the main Menu click Utilities
  2. Click Management Reports
  3. Select Treatments
  4. Enter the DPB Code for the relevant treatment item (i.e. 711)
  5. Select the required Start Date and End Date
  6. Click Run Report

An Excel spreadsheet will be displayed showing the total number of times that the treatment item has been completed during the specified time period.  In addition, this report will also break the figures down into the following age bands - 0 to 4, 5  to 15, 16 to 64 and 65 plus.

cophin
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Please be aware that the steps mentioned here are just a temporary workaround, a late Regulatory Change Request was issued which came into effect restrospectively from April 2021 regarding this as part of the Contract Reform Restart.

We are currently working on implementing this and it will be available in the next release (v8.1.8) before the end of September 2021 so will be available in-time for the End of October 2021 deadline stipulated to all DPMS suppliers by the Board.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
kayj139
Premolar I

Jump to solution
Thank you Stephen
much appreciated
0 Kudos