cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
watty
Canine II

R4+ Performance

We have a setup with R4+ running across 7-8 workstations (Windows 10) plus a separate high-spec Windows 10 machine acting as the server for R4+

Performance of R4+ appears to be slow especially when it has to load word documents etc...

The server was replaced last year as it was old with slow disks etc... and R4 support had suggested the disk speed was likely an issue.

The new server is running Nvme solid state disks in a RAID 1 pair, has a 6-core i7 processor and 32GB of fast memory. Disk speed on this is certainly not an issue and the spec is far in excess of that required by R4.

The network is gigabit ethernet and tested as functioning correctly and all the workstations meet or exceed the spec for R4, in fact we recently moved one of those onto solid state disks in case that was a bottleneck (apart from making the general machine "snappier" in use R4 appears to run much the same)

In short, from a practice IT infrastructure level we shouldn't have an issue.

So, the question I wanted to ask is whether others experience this and if there is any sort of regular maintenance/performance tuning that should be happening on R4 (specifically I suspect the SQL database and it's tables/indexes) to help speed it up?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
jonbarton
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: R4+ Performance

Hello,

If it is specifically slow loading work documents I believe there is a fix support can run which will remap the type of template that they use which will significantly speed up loading times. If your haven't done already feel free to contact support to arrange for them to run this, alternatively message me your account number and contact details and I will arrange a call from support.

Kind Regards

Jon

0 Kudos
watty
Canine II

Re: R4+ Performance

Hi Jon, 

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I have just got off the telephone to support who have logged on and are running the word template remapper utility against the server currently. 

Hopefully this will improve things as apparently it can be an issue if the server has been changed since the rest of the workstations as the templates contain references to the old server name which causes some sort of time-out on opening before they find the available server. This sounds like exactly the scenario we have and not aware of the tool being run against the new server since it was installed, so fingers crossed.

Will post back once it's run and tested speed etc...

Thanks, 

Iain.