cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Canine II

server upgrade

Jump to solution

Our Server (Dell PowerEdge) was installed in 2011 and has never suffered even a minor hiccup.

It is currently running Server 2008 R2.

Sadly, the time has come to upgrade and my IT person has recommended an HPE ML350, hopefully for many more years.

This comes with Server 2019 as standard. However, I understand from the helpline that Carestream R4+ has not yet been tested on Server 2019.

The solution we are considering is to leave the new Server running Server 2019 and then set up a number of Virtual Servers. Then we could run R4+ on a Virtual Server running Server 2016. (this is supplied free of charge with the server by HPE). Other programmes (Sidexis and DBSWIN) could equally be run on their own Virtual Servers running whatever OS suits them best.

Has anyone else run R4+ on a Virtual server ? Any issues that I should know about ?

The advantages seem worthwhile, i.e. you can reboot a Virtual Server say following an R4+ upgrade without rebooting the whole physical server and migrating to a new server in the future will be greatly facilitated.

The new Server is a very decent spec : 10 Core Silver CPU; 64 Gb Ram ; 6 hard drives : 2 in RAID 1 for the operating system and 4 in RAID 10 for the Virtual servers / data.

Although we have decent broadband, it is not fibre to the building and the old Cu wiring in this part of town is poor. We have had Openreach engineers out several times over the years to fix problems.

So, not quite thinking of Cloud at the moment.

Edward Byrne

Bedford.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: server upgrade

Jump to solution

Hi Edward,

We have lots of customers using virtual servers to host CS R4+, in fact our own hosting platform uses this technology. We are due to release version 8.1 of CS R4+ in March that has been tested against Windows Server 2019, although no changes were made since CS R4+ v7 to support this operating system.

Strongly recommend you confirm with other vendors that they are supporting of this configuration.

Kind regards

Ian

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Edward,

We have lots of customers using virtual servers to host CS R4+, in fact our own hosting platform uses this technology. We are due to release version 8.1 of CS R4+ in March that has been tested against Windows Server 2019, although no changes were made since CS R4+ v7 to support this operating system.

Strongly recommend you confirm with other vendors that they are supporting of this configuration.

Kind regards

Ian

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Canine II

Jump to solution
Thanks Ian, that is great to know.
Ed Byrne.
0 Kudos