cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Can I force my staff to update the Blue Book?

(asked on behalf of a SoftDent customer) When the insurance payment received does not match the calculated estimate, is there a way that I can force my staff to update the Blue Book?

Labels (2)
7 Replies
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: Can I force my staff to update the Blue Book?

Hey Matt. Users will be prompted as long as the following setting is enabled:

1. Click System in the main menu bar.
2. Select Change System Settings.
3. Select Insurance.
4. Check the box labeled "Update Bluebook after Insurance Payments".
5. Click OK to save the changes.

However, even if the setting is enabled and the prompt is displayed, users will still be given the option to either update the bluebook or ignore it. There is no way to 'force' a user to update the bluebook fees. 

I hope this helps

pksaari79
First Molar I

This is very helpful to do after each insurance payment.  Even though total amounts for the checks may be the same, the payment for prophys or xrays may have changed, and this keeps us up to date....often to the penny.  So collecting out of pocket is often a cinch!!  We just do it, to stay current and easy to keep up with.

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

pksaari79vrodriguez‌ so how does this process change for posting a bulk payment?

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Great question. So if posting insurance payments via the bulk payment screen, the user will also be afforded the opportunity to update the Bluebook if SD detects a discrepancy in its estimation vs. what is being entered. The attached screen shot is what the user will expect to see.

Highlighted
pksaari79
First Molar I

Quite easily.  First add all the info for the check, then add the patients in the next screen, and then edit the distributions so you know your check balances.  Once you post a message comes up....and I am not sure what but it defaults to 0 so we have to change it to 1 - I am not following this as I am writing it, just as I have known to do it.  Once you put it as a 1, Softdent will let you update the bluebook.  softdentgirl d.canales can probably weight in better on this.  Love the insurance bulk payment screen!!

pksaari79
First Molar I

Yes, that is what comes up.  I wish we could make it default to 1 cuz we always update the bluebook.....but it defaults to 0 and then we change it to 1

.  But, you are correct, this is the screen that comes up and you can go through each claim to update the bluebook!!

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

unfortunately, they cannot be forced to update the bluebook, here are a few things to ponder

1.  if you participate with the carrier, you should be using an allowance table, therefor you do not need to update the bluebook.  If the fee is increased by the carrier, you need to update the allowance table not the bluebook.
  2. if you do not participate with the carrier, then you should be updating the bluebook.
  3. do not update the blue book if the patient maxed out 1/2 way through the treatment or the majority of the procedure was applied to the deductible 
  4. check  the system settings (System>change system settings> Insurance