cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idsmiles
Canine II

Dental Savings Plan Set Up

Does anyone have suggestions for setting up an in-house Dental Savings Plan in SoftDent?  I believe I will need to add a Patient User Code to tag which patients are members, then add Transaction Codes for each of the Membership Discounts given (5%, 10%, 15%) , plus make a unique code for each Membership Plan level (Child, Adult, Perio).  Does this sound accurate?  What are some other things I need to be aware of so we can track the membership month of enrollment, etc?  Any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mdunham
Premolar III

Re: Dental Savings Plan Set Up

Options or tips: You could set up a insurance plan with a rollover date of Jan 1. Label it with your Dental practice In house plan.
It would then be very easy to see all patients within plan and remove those who did not re-inroll at beginning of year. Set this plan up as a Flat Fee plan, non-ECS, select Benefits to pt on claim filing tab and select box " Treat Patient as Guarantor for claim.

It appears you are going to have various Percentages of Discounts, this could be easily managed by creating a Discount Type by going to System>Discount Schedule>ADD >then create 3 discounts with your membership plan name and thier % level. Example: Membership 5%.
This discount level is then applied on the Discount tab within the Patient Screen in the lower left hand corner.

These suggestions would allow you to easily see who was attached to your in office plan and would not require separate fee schedules. The discount can be easily removed from the patient screen as well.

Suggestion Two: Simply create the Discount schedules and run a report annually to see those patients who are on the Discount Schedule. This Report is found under Reports>Patients> with Discounts> from here you can select the Discounts needed in report.
idsmiles
Canine II

Thank you very much for these suggestions/ tips! I appreciate the detail you've provided for set up as an insurance plan! Any other suggestions are surely appreciated. There may be a learning curve to all of this... :-)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
drcavola
Premolar III

This won't help ... at all in the efforts to try and set up the plan ... BUT I would avoid setting these type of plans up with anything listed in Softdent as "insurance".  It is NOT insurance ... and the more you stay away from labeling as such, the better. 

We do have one set up in our office, and although we've done it pretty successfully for over 3 years, it is an accounting headache.  For instance, the patients ledger, or transactions, have to account for the services you render in the plan ... in order for Softdent to track, and to make sure all your receivables, registers, and all other accounting reports are accurate.  Yet, the patient will need to have a zero balance at the end of the appointment if on your plan.  Plus, you have to have a code to bill for the "plan", which subsequently the patient needs to pay for that service, whether it's monthly, bi-yearly, or yearly.  Is there a "renewal" plan?  And are those charges different than the initial joining the plan?.  Then there's a discounted part ..... 

Headache just thinking about it    Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
mdunham
Premolar III

The office would not be labeling the plan "insurance" at all, they would merely be creating a plan within SD to monitor patients who elected the in office plan.
The discount schedule would be an easy way to apply those discounts to patients.
I do see your concern of the accounting headache, I am assuming you mean the problem of applying the patients payment for the actual purchase of the plan. I did not address that, my suggestion would also be to create a code perhaps labeled "Your Practice In office Incentive Plan XYZ"

In order to properly bill this out the practice would need to know their state rules on this type of plan.
1.)States who allow one time purchase, create code for "office plan XYZ"
2.) States requiring monthly fees, and installment. ( This could be a bit cumbersome to manage) Obviously, a monthly charge would be needed. I would think the easiest way to manage this would be (for offices using SD credit card processing) would be to place the patient on an auto payment plan. In which , you would receive a denial if payment did not process, all others would go automatically)
3.) States requiring a down payment followed by installments, obviously you would need both codes.
There are also companies who manage this such as BoomCloud. Which of course takes the accounting management aspect away from staff all together.
0 Kudos
idsmiles
Canine II

Yikes. Yes, we were repeatedly cautioned to stay far away from wording the program anywhere remotely similar to 'insurance' unless we want to have issues with the state dental insurance commissioner.  Not a conversation I want to entertain and we sincerely appreciate the warning on that.  

Their accounts will be zero balance at the end of each appointment, I believe, due to the fact that they receive the membership prices b/c they must pay for them at the end of each appointment.  And I will make a Membership code to use for when they initiate membership into the 'group' - good point.  Also, as we begin this, we are not going to offer payment for membership through monthly credit card  payments.  We have too many patients who have maxed out or expired cards that have in the not-so-distant past attempted to set up payment plans in our office.  So, right or wrong it's a pay up front deal right now.  Hadn't thought of a 'renewal' membership yet but I appreciate that thought so I can set that up now!  

Yes, a headache for sure, but my wild hope is that we can get this beast initiated with a few less hiccups thanks to the advise from folks such as yourselves.  T

0 Kudos
idsmiles
Canine II

THANK YOU for pointing me toward state regulations in regard to this type of plan, I will investigate this!  All great points to be make sure we are within the legal framework.  And I appreciate the code label of "_____ In Office Incentive Plan".  Your assistance is greatly appreciated.  

mdunham
Premolar III

Here is a link to state insurance commissioners rulings on this type of plan, as well as some handy verbiage etc.

http://boomcloudapps.com/2016/08/25/house-membership-program-state-regulations/

0 Kudos