cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ABRDH
Canine II

Hygiene Collections

Im wondering the best way to figure accurate collections to determine a salary of 33% for a hygienist. The hygienist will collect 33% of everything billed out per hygiene appointment, including the exam. Is there a day sheet to print that will show accurately what is anticipated to be collected by insurance? We are in network for most insurances so there is a write off to be expected, so just figuring 33% of production based on our office fee schedule is not accurate. If we wait and pay 33% after we collect from insurance, can you accurately post payments that would allow the exams to show on her collections? I want to ensure that her numbers are reflecting everything billed out for her patients.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
ABRDH
Canine II

Re: Hygiene Collections

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
pksaari79
First Molar I

I set up a report, for each hygienist and we have 2, that will give me their production for that week.  It is set up through Reports....Accounting.....Registers.....Period. I set it up and added it to the report manager so I don't have to set the parameters each time.  I run it weekly, but you can set up your time frame biweekly if that's how you do payroll AND you can set your days.  Our payroll goes from Wed through Tuesday, biweekly. From there I can calculate 33% of their production.  I am wondering why they get credit for an exam, which is a doctor fee?  Our hygienists get credit for all their cleanings and xrays, including if they have helped the doctor take them, and whitening trays if they make them.  If they sold a Sonicare, they got credit for that but we are moving away from selling Sonicares in the office.  

ABRDH
Canine II

Does that calculate the production based on your set office fee schedule or what the patients’ insurances will be reimbursing?
And as far as getting 33% of the exam, the hygienist is very thourough. She takes detailed medical histories every visit, probe depths, explores for detectable decay be it occlusal, or under crown margins, is sufficient at recognizing suspicious spots on xrays, recognizes when an extra PA is needed or pano before having to ask, takes intraoral photos when appropriate, and does a very thourough cancer screening on pretty much every patient. When the Dds enters the room, it really makes their time more efficient because the hygienist has been so comprehensive. This is definitely worth 1/3 of the exam fee based on the work being performed.
0 Kudos
pksaari79
First Molar I

Just now able to respond back to you.....

The report generates the production for that hygienist for the time period I select (Wednesday through the following Tuesday) and is based on the fees we have set for the codes they are allowed credit.  It is irrelevant if it's insurance related or written off (we are not contracted) or if it is an employee who gets their dental care at no charge to them.  I do our payroll on Quickbooks and it will calculate the 33% based on the number I put in for them. 

I feel our hygienists also do a thorough job too of helping with examining the patient prior to the doctor coming in but our understanding is 120 is a doctor code, so we don't give them any credit for that.  Since we also track doctor production, all exam code fess go to the doctor production.

BTW. we are on Softdent 16.2.8 and I use the Report Manager to have this report.  Since I set the parameters, all I have to do is run it on Tuesday once they are done for the day and it will give me the production numbers without setting it up each time.  I have 2 reports set up, one for each hygienist.  Easier that way.

Highlighted
pksaari79
First Molar I

I just saw this on Practice Booster -

1. It is improper to report a periodic oral evaluation (D0120) or any other evaluation unless the doctor completed the clinical evaluation (on the patient) and performed the evaluation. A hygienist can screen but not diagnose unless specifically permitted by state law. 

And we are in Florida.  FYI.......

0 Kudos
ABRDH
Canine II

I’m definitely aware of the rules and regulations of our state. Absolutely no patient would be billed for an exam if the doctor did not complete one. Our practice feels that sharing the money collected for the exam is a more accurate representation of what our hygienist deserves. You have the liberty to pay otherwise if that’s how you see fit. I don’t want this post to turn into a debate of what hygienists deserve. I’m merely looking for a way to figure accurate production considering insurance write offs.
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for the great tips @pksaari79 !

@softdentgirl  @d_canales @mdunham  would any of you have anything to add to the conversation as well? 

0 Kudos
mdunham
Premolar III

Ladies, I am sorry that I have been MIA as of lately.  

In an effort to clarify, I have pasted a copy of the initial inquiry below.  My responses will be shown in Blue

Hygiene Collections
Im wondering the best way to figure accurate collections to determine a salary of 33% for a hygienist. The hygienist will collect 33% of everything billed out per hygiene appointment, including the exam. Is there a day sheet to print that will show accurately what is anticipated to be collected by insurance?
Melissa Response:  SD reports are only as accurate as the data entered into it, and is true of any PMS.   To answer your question:  the answer is "Maybe"   Very often I find that practices enter incorrect payment and adjustment codes/ information which can create inaccurate report data.
 Melissa Suggestion:  Perhaps provide the Hygienist a base salary with the remainder to be determined in 30 days, ie in 30 days of collection.    

We are in network for most insurances so there is a write off to be expected, so just figuring 33% of production based on our office fee schedule is not accurate. If we wait and pay 33% after we collect from insurance, can you accurately post payments that would allow the exams to show on her collections?   Melissa Remark:   Why would Hygienist obtain a percentage of Exams?  Generally, a hygieist paid on commission or Salary are figures based upon work they actually do, SRP,4910, Hyg, etc.  some offices offer a small commission on films, but is smaller commission than hyg.  

Report Suggestion:   ( you may already be aware of this one, and it does not offer projected income/practice risk)  Transaction for Period Report:  Include the Hyg number only, Include Indirect sources., and include all codes.  This report could be added to the monthly report for her user name or practice monthly reports/, or even add an extra one that accumulates these totals on daily reports.     
   Another report that may help (MAY) is the  Patient Production/Collection Report .   

I want to ensure that her numbers are reflecting everything billed out for her patients.