Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
FormerPLM
Premolar III

ICD-10 CM 2017

Hello everyone,

I'm interested to know how many SoftDent practices are currently using ICD-10 codes.  Are you up to speed on the changes for 2017?  It appears the impact on dental coding will be minimal, if any.  The new codes take effect October 1, 2016.  Does your practice use ICD-10 CM today?

Thank you,

Jeff

Tags (1)
5 Replies
bswh
Canine III

Re: ICD-10 CM 2017

We do not.

0 Kudos
jmerhar
Premolar I

Yes, we do, not always but when needed and it is extremely difficult to get a medical/dental claim going in softdent.  You have the capabilities but electronicaly dosen't go anywhere, its a mess and very hard to do.  Some how medical thinks we are suppose to have our hands on paper claim forms that are "red".  Help.  Softdent needs to step up in this area.

0 Kudos
jojob
Canine III

Yes, I use ICD 10, whenever a diagnosis code is required by an insurance company.

0 Kudos
jmerhar
Premolar I

Joanne, what source did you get your ICD 10 codes from?

0 Kudos
jojob
Canine III

I ordered a book in 2015 from a seminar: 

Charles, Blair, DDS:  DIAGNOSTIC CODING FOR DENTAL CLAIM SUBMISSION, 2015-2016. 

In the back of the wire coiled book, there's a chapter that I use all the time:  ICD-9-CM AND ICD-10-CM Extended Listing.   It has 3 easy to read columns.  First column is a description of the diagnosis/visit (e.g.  "DENTAL CARIES of [enamel] [into dentin] [into pulp] [root surface]"  "CRACKED TOOTH not due to trauma"  "SLEEP RELATED BRUXISM").  Second column is the ICD-9-CM code.  Third column is the ICD-10-CM code.

I always confirm with dentist the most specific description of patient's condition so I know which code fits best.  Sometimes the patient has multiple ICD-10 codes (ex:  caries and fractured, hence patient needed the surgical extraction and eventual implant/crown).

I insert the code on  the dental claim form BLOCK 34A (only if an insurance company requires a diagnosis code).  Note:  In Softdent, you have to turn on the "Use Diagnosis Code" for the patient's insurance plan in order to insert the code in that block.  And, yes, I submit claims electronically with no issues.