We are setting up insurance information in SoftDent so that insurance estimations will be accurate (currently we do all the calculations manually).
Most plans already have a deductible of $25 set. We change that, if necessary, before choosing an allowance table. But after doing that, when I go into a patient's transactions and enter treatment procedures the deductible used in the calculation is still $25.
What else do we need to do?
The family/individual deductibles are set upon the insurance plan being selected in the Guarantor's "Dental" drop-down, for any patients for whom the Guarantor has been specified as their Primary or Secondary insurance policyholder. Manually changing an insurance plan's deductibles will not retroactively affect patients who are already set up to use this plan, meaning that changing the deductibles on the insurance plan will only affect patients for whom the plan is selected going forward.
For patients who are already set up to use the insurance plan in question, the patient's currently remaining individual/family deductibles can be updated manually on the Guarantors screen.
1. Open the patient's information.
2. Click "Guarantors" on the Express Bar (the blue sidebar) to open the patient's Guarantors screen.
3. Enter the current remaining family deductible in the "Remaining Family Deductible" field.
4. Enter the patient's individual remaining deductible for their primary insurance in the "Primary: Remaining Deduct" field.
5. If applicable, enter the patient's individual remaining deductible for their secondary insurance in the "Secondary: Remaining Deduct" field.
6. Click OK to save your changes.
Thanks Wesley! That answered another question I was going to be asking: can we manually set the maximum a patient has used. We sometimes would like to do that if a patient has gone to another office.
It would be great if there were a utility that would let us reset the deductibles for all patients, or even better, all patients with a given plan. But at least there's a way to do it.