cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bccarestreamrep
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

SoftDent Utilities as a Scheduled Task

SoftDent 18.0+/118.0+ introduces the ability to schedule and automatically run at a set time Rebuild/Reindex, Find Largest ID, and Find/Repair Corrupt using Windows Task Scheduler. 

If you feel as though your office would benefit from this, the scheduled task can bet setup by support, with the assistance of your local techs, around the time your server's backups are done.

The only reason I am posting this is that I feel as though many offices are unaware that this is even an option.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
drcavola
First Molar I

Re: SoftDent Utilities as a Scheduled Task

Interesting .... 

Two questions, if you don't mind.

1.  Does the Scheduled Task include a backup?  I recall anytime Support wants to run utilities, they do a quick backup first.

2.  I've heard two sides of this issue ... on the one hand, there are some techs who swear by the notion that you do not need to run utilities unless there is a problem for which running a specific utility will remedy.  The other side is .... run the utilities routinely, in the order of c,b,a (if I recall correctly).  The problem with this side is the need for backups first, and second, the more you have used Softdent over the years, the larger the files, and therefore the longer running the utilities takes to complete.

Yes, that does indicate the Scheduled task idea, this is YOUR data ... I would think one would like to know if there is an issue and be able to call to get Support ASAP.  No one would like a Monday morning surprise because of it.

0 Kudos
bccarestreamrep
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: SoftDent Utilities as a Scheduled Task

I don't mind answering questions at all!

1.  Does the Scheduled Task include a backup?  I recall anytime Support wants to run utilities, they do a quick backup first.

-- The scheduled task does NOT include a backup, so this must be scheduled to run well after an expected backup, done either by the office or a local tech, is complete. 

2.  I've heard two sides of this issue ... on the one hand, there are some techs who swear by the notion that you do not need to run utilities unless there is a problem for which running a specific utility will remedy.  The other side is .... run the utilities routinely, in the order of c,b,a (if I recall correctly).  The problem with this side is the need for backups first, and second, the more you have used Softdent over the years, the larger the files, and therefore the longer running the utilities takes to complete.

-- The scheduled utilities are for offices who habitually run the ACB regularly in an effort to keep their data "fresh." Now, yes, these utilities can run for some time depending on the size of the overall dataset, but since this runs in the background via cmd line it can run as long as it needs to and will close when complete. We will continue to insist that all data be backed up prior to running any utility (scheduled or run manually). Due to the nature of the data schema of SoftDent...no recent utility can guarantee that it won't need to be done again, even shortly after, due to various factors/reasons (like networking problems, power outages, user error, etc.)

We do currently have some offices that use the scheduled task to run SDUtils automatically without any problems, but again I must press that a backup is done before an automatic SDUtils process is run in case it needs to be restored for any reason (which is why we run one before running it manually anyways). 

0 Kudos