cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianjonesvb
Canine III

Softdent Auto Logoff

Jump to solution

Hello I spoke to someone in technical support about setting up auto logoff to kick everyone out of soft dent at a certain time she had me go into task scheduler and make a task that runs the TermApps.exe file at 6:30 PM but it didn't do anything.  When I manually run the exe it also runs a command promo window but doesn't say it kicked anyone off, but there are users logged in.  We just want to ensure that our backup runs correctly every night.  Thanks Many!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bccarestreamrep
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: Softdent Auto Logoff

Jump to solution

It seems like it's not timing out the session of the workstation. The best thing I can tell you to do is get the office staff to do their best to close out of SoftDent at the end of each day. Otherwise, you have to make sure that the server and all workstations are on the same workgroup or domain. We've seen TermApp fail in the past. As long as the files are not actively being pulled, your backups should be usable/valid.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
tshaw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@trankin @bccarestreamrep any suggestions for this? 

0 Kudos
bccarestreamrep
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

Unless you're a Client/Server (Faircom) office, then running TermApp.exe should kick all users out. Beyond creating a script to close all open files afterwards, this should allow your backups to have full integrity as long as no one is actually USING SoftDent actively. If you are a Faircom office, that is a difference circumstance and would require more to get everything shutdown correctly and automatically.

0 Kudos
ianjonesvb
Canine III

Jump to solution

@bccarestreamrep We are not a faircom office, when I run the file with a workstation open the workstation stays up as normal and works normally going through patient files and such. When I check the TermApp log text document it doesn’t list that it did anything or record the date as it did many years ago and is still in the same log file.  Do I need to add any arguments to the scheduled task?  I even tried just running it manually by double clicking and then it said press any key to start, and then it said it was polling the network and then listed a bunch of stuff really quickly but the workstation still stayed up no error messages and nothing in the log. Thanks so much maybe our program is broken.

0 Kudos
bccarestreamrep
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

It seems like it's not timing out the session of the workstation. The best thing I can tell you to do is get the office staff to do their best to close out of SoftDent at the end of each day. Otherwise, you have to make sure that the server and all workstations are on the same workgroup or domain. We've seen TermApp fail in the past. As long as the files are not actively being pulled, your backups should be usable/valid.

View solution in original post

drcavola
First Molar I

Jump to solution

My understanding is the "auto" logoff is similar to the logoff icon that is available.  That is, if a user is working in Softdent, clicking on the logoff screen gets you to the login screen.  This is completely different than closing Softdent and exiting out of the program.  The latter is what you need to have your backup run successfully.  Otherwise there are Softdent files open, even if the login screen is displayed.

0 Kudos
bccarestreamrep
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

Correct. Simply put, if SoftDent is open (even if the user is logged out of it) then that user will still show up as having open files within Computer Management on the server. The entire process of SDWIN.EXE needs to be closed on each workstation to release all of those open files. Otherwise, the software is left open in just a "logged off" state...which doesn't help your cause. TermApp.exe will only scan for running processes and attempt to kill them across like subnets on same workgroups/domains. Even so, it will still give us trouble sometimes. This is why I still suggest having all staff actually close SoftDent altogether at the end of each day rather than just logging off of it. This will also prevent other problems within the software too.

0 Kudos
ianjonesvb
Canine III

Jump to solution

Ok that works for know but in the next version on Softdent could y’all build in something where the server can send a shutdown signal to all open Softdent workstations? Thanks for all of your help!

0 Kudos
drcavola
First Molar I

Jump to solution
It exists already. Use the “gold” key on the server to check first which workstation may be open. If none are listed, you’re in the clear. To signal and disconnect an open workstation from Softdent, there is an option from there.
0 Kudos