cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lakegirl
Canine III

Submitting Secondary Ins and attaching EOB from Primary or amount Primary paid.

I am inquiring as to the correct way to submit a claim to a secondary Ins co for payment? If Primary has paid and you enter the amount pd into the software and attach the payment to the claim in Softdent, you are then prompted to see if you want to submit to secondary. My question is when you say YES and you submit it electronically, how does SOFTDENT provide the information to the secondary insurance company of what the amount that the primary paid? How does the secondary know how much to pay? It looks like SD just sends a form to the secondary which is the same as the one they sent to primary? And there is no place that reflects what the primary paid so the secondary knows what to pay.  So I am wondering how SD wants us to do this and how other offices do this so the 2nd knows what the 1st paid so they pay the difference or accurate percentage?  Currently we do this manually but printing a claim and attaching a copy of the EOB to the 2ndary so they know what was paid. This is tedious and prone to error. Can attaching the EOB be done within SD using a scanner and is that what people are doing? if so what scanner and how easy is all of that. Thanks

8 Replies

Re: Submitting Secondary Ins and attaching EOB from Primary or amount Primary paid.

the only way to do that is by attaching the primary ins EOB to the claim as the ADA form doesnt have a place for the previously paid amounts by primary ins 
you can use 3rd party attachment service that integrates with SD called NEA fast attach 
you can attach the EOB , narrative and  xrays to the claim using NEA before submitting the claim 
then you can transmit the claim electronically 

0 Kudos
lakegirl
Canine III

Re: Submitting Secondary Ins and attaching EOB from Primary or amount Primary paid.

so how much does that cost? per claim or per month? as well do you need to scan the eobs into SD and if so what scanner is recc? I read so many people have problems with scanners in SD we have shied away? What percentage of SD users still copy EOB ad send 2nd manually and how many use NEA? Is NEA the only that works with SD? thanks
0 Kudos
lakegirl
Canine III

and what does SD manuals or help tell you you have to also attach the EOB..it just says print and send?
0 Kudos

to be honest i dont know how much it costs but i know this is the only attachment company that integrates with SD , you can contact NEA for more information about their fees (https://nea-fast.com)

you dont have to scan EOB to SD you can scan it to your computer then attach it through NEA , though if you scan it into patient documents in SD that will make it a little bit easier for you to attach 

for scanners SD doesnt have a recommendation all we need is to have local (not a network scanner ) that is twain compliant ( not Neat brand as they are not supported ) 

i dont know percentages but it is quite common way to handle secondary insurance with our clients 

0 Kudos
mdunham
Premolar III

NEA is the FASTEST was to recoup Secondary monies owed to practice.  NEA  also provides a way to have a conversation with dental plans; think of it like "certified mail".   All NEA numbers can be seen by the Insurance company, so in the event, they deny receiving-simply give the company the NEA number for the claim. 

NEA attaches seamlessly into SD.  YOU WILL LOVE IT!  Guarantee it!  It si very economical and saves me an enormous amount of time.  

If you obtain payment via EFT, you can screenshot copies of EOBS from online. We receive all paper checks.  Paper EOB's are easy as well.  You can scan into Document tree under the EOBS section, OR you can take a picture of it with the NEA mobile app FASTKAPTURE. (HIPAA compliant, you do not have to worry about information staying on phone or ever becoming data on phone or iPad) 

I use NEA to tell plans when they have not correctly Coordinated Benefits, relay all narratives, films and EOB's. 

If you need help after you get started, let me know.   

I do recommend desktop scanners for ease.  My scanner is OLD, but a goodie, it is a NEAT scanner. 

mdunham
Premolar III

The reason that Dental claim forms do not have a box for primary payment is because very few dental plan auto-adjudicate. Therefore, a copy of Primary is needed. There is no need to enter how much the primary paid when you send a copy of EOB. 

0 Kudos
mdunham
Premolar III

oops, I have a neat. When we purchase new ones, I will purchase Twain compliant. Thanks for the tip!
uniondental
Canine III

We use Epson ES 400 which are twain compliant.  Spendy but there aren't a ton of options. 

0 Kudos