cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Credit balance report??

Jump to solution

Is there a report that I can print that shows all patients with credit balances?  I have noticed a lot of patients that have incorrect credit balances from prior years.  When this happens the patient is never billed for current balances and then the problem just keeps getting worse.  Since I started in this office I have tried to check all patient balances when they come in, but I miss some I am sure since patients don't have upcoming appointments or are scheduled at the last minute and I don't check route slips for those patients.  I am just trying to be proactive..

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find a report?

THANKS!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Credit balance report??

Jump to solution

If you go to Reports.....Accounting.......then Account Aging.  I would select print preview, to tweak what you want, before you print it.  Once you are in Account Aging, you can select which parameters you want to run and select those to give you the credits on your patients. 

I label any account with a credit as K in the Account.  Then we create an Account User Selected Report only for credits that you can save in your Report Manager.  You can then run that page periodically and see who has credits that might need refunding.

Are you using the Y to get into the patient transactions to pay...because that will give you a true picture on the account of amount owing? It sounds like not, only because you mention some patients have credits and others do no, if these are patients in the same account. Any credits can be applied at this point, unless there is outstanding insurance.  AND this really helps keep the accounts clean.

softdentgirld.canales

stimmreck
Canine II

Jump to solution

just adding the setup for account aging report 

If you go to Reports.....Accounting.......then Account Aging.  I would select print preview,

Click 
Reports in the main menu bar.
2. Select Accounting.

3. Select AccountAging.
4. Click OK.
5. Remove the check from the box labeled "Include aaccounts with a debit balance".
6. Remove the check from the box labeled "Include accountswith $0.00 balance".
7. Place a check in the box labeled "Include accounts with acredit balance".

8. Click OK to generate the report.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Ahhh, yes.  That is the report that I thought I needed, I just didn't check the correct box that listed the patients with the credit balances!  Silly me... its a Tuesday that is acting like a Monday.  Thanks for the help!

stimmreck
Canine II

Jump to solution

sure welcome anytime   

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Great answers, Kay and Ayman! 

As always, thank you to all for your assistance making The Exchange a source of great information. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Your question doesn't make sense to me, with respect.

If "Mrs. Jones" has a $100 credit balance from last year, and today she is billed for a crown, for which her portion is now $500, then you should be collecting $400.  The credit balance is the credit balance, and Softdent accounting (unless it is another patient in the same account) will make the necessary additions and subtractions to make the patient balance, and then the account balance current.

By having your patients come in with a credit balance and have more dentistry doesn't make the credit balance worse.

If Softdent has the correct insurance information, and it setup correctly, you will "bill" the insurance for her crown today just like you would if there was no credit balance.

BTW, routing slips don't show credit balances (don't think) ... just account and patient balances. 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi Danyle,

My office uses OrthoTrac software, but I believe the software is similar to yours (same way to run a Credit Balance Aging Report).  Just thought I would share something with you that I started doing for my patients w/credit balances...

My Dr. asks me to print the credit balance report on a monthly basis for her to review and she expects me explain what each credit balance is for.  So this is what I came up with:

After running the Credit Balance Aging Report I reviewed each pt's account to determine the reason for the credit bal.  Was there a billing error and the credit bal is invalid and needed to be corrected with and adjustment?  Or if the credit bal was indeed valid did I need to submit a request to refund the pt or ins co, or were we holding the credit for future tx? etc...

Our system has a DATABASE FIELD on the pt info screen that allows us to capture different pt/responsible party info.  I created a database field that I called CREDIT BAL and added various responses such as: Hold for future tx, Submitted pt refund request, Submitted ins refund request, other.  Now I can run a contact expert report for all pt's with the database field=CREDIT BAL that will list pt's with a credit balance and gives an explanation for the credit balance along with the amount of the credit bal. The contact expert report will balance back to my Credit Balance Aging Rpt.  Also, any pt's listed on the contact expert report that DON'T have a comment get reviewed and a comment added (if it's not corrected with a billing adjustment).  Any pt's with credit balance comments that no longer have a credit balance are removed from the report by deleting the CREDIT BAL database field from the pt info screen. My doctor and I both LOVE this new report.  Hope this might be helpful to you too. :-) 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Sometimes the credit balance is due to an error or an over-payment by the insurance company.  Those are the ones that I want to fix... if it was an error then the patient shouldn't have that money available to use on a new charge, insurance will ask for the money to be refunded and it wont be available because the patient "used" it toward something that they owed.   

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Great info!  Great ideas!  Thank you for sharing.

0 Kudos