cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
orlyphillips
Canine II

Diagnosed Treatment Vs. Accepted Treatment

We ran a detailed treatment plan report today, and the prompts asked us if we would like to run a report for diagnosed treatment, accepted treatment or scheduled treatment.  Our question is this:  What is the difference between a diagnosed treatment plan and an accepted treatment plan, and how does a treatment plan go from diagnosed to accepted?  We don't mark them as anything, but we see on the report that some of the treatment plans are listed as diagnosed, some are listed as accepted and obviously, anyone who has scheduled their treatment is listed as scheduled.  It's the ACCEPTED that confuses us.  Can anyone explain this to me?  Thank you!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
shanab
Premolar I

Re: Diagnosed Treatment Vs. Accepted Treatment

Great question.  The difference between "diagnosed" and "accepted" is this- diagnosed is basically just entering it into the treatment plan and nothing else.  Accepted is when the patient has been consulted with either with a formal consult appointment or chair side and are ready to schedule but haven't yet for whatever reason.

The way they are changed is with the "change state" option on the blue options bar and then this window opens where you can designate which treatment plan/group.  Use the drop down to select diagnosed, presented, accepted, scheduled (will automatically change when scheduled from the treatment plan), or declined (use this option instead of deleting treatment plans so you have a record of it happening).

From the clinical chart on the Treatment Planning Tab, you can highlight one item in the TP/Group, select the "change treatment plan state" icon from the Treatment Planning toolbar on the right side and follow the same process

I hope this helps clarify this for you!

drcavola
Premolar III

Here's what puzzles me .... if you do a treatment plan for a patient, the patient "accepts", but you do not change the state AND you schedule the patient FROM the treatment plan, the state is not automatically changed to accepted.  It seems to me it is a redundant to change the state to accepted since you are scheduling that treatment plan, yet I don't think Softdent tracks that particular treatment plan as such.  Thus the reason I don't give too much value to the report - there are too many variables and states regarding treatment plans. 

shanab
Premolar I

If you are scheduling it, the software skips the "accepted" phase because the patient wouldn't have scheduled if it wasn't accepted and marks it as scheduled; however, you can do a consult and get several outcomes (patient either accepts and schedules, accepts and doesn't schedule- change status to accepted, or declines- change state to declined).  

The software is tracking each phase so if the process isn't a smooth one- they accept and schedule right away- you know where you are in the process.  

I understand where you are coming from though.  Knowing the differences between the different states may help those reports make sense and be more valuable to you.  Of course, for the reports to be completely accurate, everyone has to be on board with changing the state of the treatment plans.  Hopefully, you will give the reports another try knowing this distinction.

If a tx plan is marked as declined, it doesn't show in your reports or the treatment plan itself and won't affect your report numbers.  You have to use the "view archived treatment plan" option to even see it.  That is nice because you don't have to clutter a report or your treatment plan numbers with treatment that a patient said they will not do. 

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

When printing a treatment plan in far right of it is a column for Accepted. If you don't change the status and the patient signs the TP it could be construed as having NOT accepted the treatment and terms you delineated. Also when you receive TP back from the insurance are you closing the TP & updating the fees that were approved?  This is another tip to keep your TP clean & updated! 

0 Kudos
orlyphillips
Canine II

We keep our bluebook fees updated; we were just confused as to how a treatment plan went from diagnosed to accepted without our choosing it to be.  It appears as though the software changes it to "accepted" if you schedule from the treatment plan, and if the patient ultimately decides not to do the treatment, the treatment is still considered as "accepted" even if it's not scheduled because we attempted to schedule it from the treatment plan.  

0 Kudos