cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doctom4300
Premolar III

Discount Plans

How do we correctly set up a discount plan for a patient in SoftDent?

Currently, we have an insurance plan set up with name "Discount Plan" and no insurance company attached to it. Leaving the insurance company blank ensures that we don't accidentally file a claim, but when we're in a patient's transaction screen, we see that they have the discount plan and charge them accordingly.

This method automatically marks the procedures as needing to be filed with insurance, which means they show up when we run the Unsubmitted Insurance Report. We then go an manually mark them as not needing to be filed with insurance, but that can get cumbersome.

Thanks for your help! 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: Discount Plans

Hi Brenda

Here are the steps to add discount plans in softdent then attaching to a patient. 

Adding a Discount Schedule

1. Click System in the main menu bar.
2. Select Discount Schedule.
3. Click the Add button.
4. Set up the discount schedule name and details.
5. Click OK.

Attaching a Discount Schedule to a Patient

1. Open the patient list window.
2. Double-click on the patient to which a discount schedule is to be assigned.
3. Click on the drop-down arrow for Discount in the bottom left-hand corner of the information screen.
4. Select the desired discount schedule.
5. Click OK.

I hope this Helps!

0 Kudos
doctom4300
Premolar III

Each procedure has a different discount amount. It's not a flat percentage. Does the method described above work for that? If so, how do I enter that?

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Hi Brenda, 

Once you get to the (step 4) -> where you are adding the schedule name and detail. You will then see (Type , Value) change to fixed amount as seen in the example below:

I hope this answer your question! 

0 Kudos
doctom4300
Premolar III

How does that work for different procedure codes? For example, the fee for code 1110 needs to be $66. But for code 0274, it needs to be $39.

Thanks for your help. I'm sure this is something obvious, and I'm just not seeing it.

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Brenda, 

The Discount Schedule that RicSheika suggested would work well for someone who didn't have insurance and received fixed percentage or a flat rate discount.  (For example 10% off for being a senior citizen or $50 off each visit.)  

Based on the last piece of information you provided: a specific discounted fee for each procedure code, a discount schedule would probably not work for you.  I'd recommend continuing to use your "discount insurance" plan - set it up as a Flat Fee PPO and add an allowance table in order to enter the fee for each procedure code.  You can set the plan up to write off at time of service, so your regular fees charge out to the patient's ledger and a write off is automatically applied to bring it down to the discounted rate. (By doing this, a report can be run to track the amount being written off for patients due to using this plan.)  

As far as getting around the insurable check box - go ahead and attach an insurance company (feel free to make a fake one titled "do not send" or something in case a claim actually gets printed and on the red claim filing tab, mark "benefits to patient".  Once transactions are posted allow the claim to print to screen or print preview then close it without actually printing to save the paper.  The Benefits to Patient option will then allow you to not track the claim, and the patients will not show up on the unsubmitted claims report.   

Hope this helps.  If you or other staff in your office would like to purchase any additional insurance training, I'd love to help! 

Danelle 

doctom4300
Premolar III

Danelle, that sounds like what we're looking for. Thanks!

0 Kudos
drcavola
Premolar III

Some of us offices have an "In House" plan for those patients who don't have insurance.  It is my understanding that you have to make sure those plans avoid even the appearance of dental insurance plans.  I think the above post of creating a discount plan (if similar to the in house plan) and setting it up as an insurance plan may be problematic, in my opinion.  

doctom4300
Premolar III

Ron, I understand your concern. The patients I'm speaking of have purchased an Aetna Discount Plan. It's not an in-house plan.

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Dr. Cavola,

Thank you for your response!  This is exactly what we want to see - those of you who work with the software day-to-day, helping us make sure we are giving the best instruction possible to our valuable clients.   Based on what you are describing for the "in-house discount plan", I'd refer back to RicSheika's original response.  This allows a patient to receive a discount (percentage or flat fee) off your regular fees without involving an insurance plan.  Is this what you use in your office? 

Will we see you at the Dental Summit in Vegas?  If you haven't signed up and would like to go, I can give you the trainer's promotion code for a nice discount.  

I hope you have a wonderful day!  

Danelle

0 Kudos