cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bayarea
Canine III

HIPAA and Prescriptions

At our monthly staff meeting today, the doctor expressed concern that when printing prescriptions Medical Alerts (ie Heart Attack, Smoker) print on the script. This is a HIPAA violation. I have not been able to find a way to ensure that they don't show on the script. I believe this needs to be addressed.

6 Replies
FormerPLM
Premolar III

Re: HIPAA and Prescriptions

Good morning bayarea‌,

Thanks for the heads up on this.  I will take a look at it this morning and update the community with my findings.

Thank you for participating in the Community!

Jeff

0 Kudos
pksaari79
Premolar III

Is it really a HIPAA violation, as it is a "need to know" for the pharmacist?  I am asking our HIPAA consultant about this too.

0 Kudos
FormerPLM
Premolar III

Hi pksaari79‌,

I'd love to hear the feedback from your consultant, please share when you get it.  

Thank you,

Jeff

0 Kudos
pksaari79
Premolar III

Will do....she's working on it for me now.

FormerPLM
Premolar III

bayarea‌ and pksaari79‌,

I am continuing to look into this, but in the meantime you can control this behavior by unchecking the "Trigger Medical History/Medical Alert" box on each drug.  This will prevent the medication from updating the patient medical history Medical Alert box, which is where the Rx pulls the message from.  To do this, follow these steps:

1. From the main menu, select List.
2. From the list, select Prescription Drugs.
3. Double-click on the desired drug in the list.
4. Remove the check from the box labeled "Trigger Medical History / Medical Alert".
5. Click OK to save the changes.

You may also want to prevent the medical condition from triggering a medical alert.  To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click System in the main menu bar.
2. Select Customize Medical History. The Conditions list window is displayed.
3. Double-click on the desired medical history condition.
4. Take the check out of the box labeled "Should this Condition Set the Patient's Med Alert Flag?".
5. Click OK to save changes.

Keep in mind that in both cases you will be limiting your medical alerts, which may be a risk.  Of course you can always manually type in a medical alert in the patient history, but it will print on the paper prescription.

Thank you,

Jeff

0 Kudos
bayarea
Canine III

I looked, none of the "Trigger Medical History/Medical Alert" boxes are checked, they are still printing. Removing the medical condition from the alert is not a viable option for my doctor.

The HIPAA violation comes from the fact that the Pharmacist isn't the only one who sees the script. Also they don't need to know that the patient is a smoker. The patient's prescription history is available to them if they needed to see interactions and possible issues, or they can ask the patient directly.

0 Kudos