cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vg2180
Canine II

Issues and Questions about Print to File

I often times need to save SoftDent documents to file. We often need to email excused absence notes, reports, insurance claims, list of transactions, etc... -- I will go to print note or print transactions, select dates, and when the option comes up to Print Preview, Print, or File I chose file to save it.  Half the time after I type in the file name Softdent will shut down with error message "There was an unexpected error in the program.  SoftDent will now attempt to shut down" and this message is often followed by a second error message "There was an unexpected error while shutting down.  Softdent will now attempt to exit from the licensing server".  I am wondering first if there is any way to resolve this issue.

The other questions I have are:

• Is there a way to change the file format?  For example saving a PDF instead of an REP (doesn't give an option for file extension when saving)
  • Is there a way to save all files to a specific location instead of in the Softdent program files folder?

We have SoftDent v14.0.4

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
lindamoseley
Canine III

Re: Issues and Questions about Print to File

Vanessa,

The "file" format is used by 3rd party vendors to pull information from softdent such as confirmation lists. Unfortunately there is not a way to change the file name, type, or change where it is saved. That is likely why it shuts down on you.

GOOD NEWS though. Look in your list of printers. Go to Control Panel>Devices and Printers. Do you see some form of PDF writer or creator in your list with your normal printers? Attached is what mine looks like.

Notice I have a "Cute PDF writer".

When you need to save something as a PDF format, choose PRINT as your output option. When the print dialogue window appears, click the drop down to choose your PDF "printer". See screenshot attachment.  After you click OK to "print" you will see a "SaveAs" dialogue window. Select where you wish to save and give it a file name. And there you go.

If you do not have a PDF in your list of printers, then one can be easily added. They are available online for free. However there are some out there that come with ads and so forth. I would advise you to consult with your office computer IT professional for assistance to get a PDF printer added.

vg2180
Canine II

This seems like it would solve a lot of my issues.  The only problem with this is when I go to print or even print preview it doesn't give me any dialoged box to change printer settings.  It just automatically prints.  Would you know any way around that?

0 Kudos
lindamoseley
Canine III

This is an easy fix in SoftDent settings. In SoftDent Click System>Change System Settings> Printer and WP (almost at the bottom)

On the window that appears check the box to "Display printer selection before printing".

Now SoftDent will stop and ask which printer to use.

vg2180
Canine II

Yes that was an easy fix. I switched the setting and sure enough it's letting me change printers.  I will try with a PDF creator.  Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos