cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tschmedding
Canine II

Need help with a code.

I received a bulk Delta payment that included a credit adjustment for a patient that had been paid on previously.  This adjustment reduced the actual amount of the check after all payments were posted to the patients.  What code would I use to post this adjustment and have it reflect in the deposit slip? 

6 Replies
chriscornett
Premolar II

Re: Need help with a code.

tschmedding‌ check out the following document in the adjustment codes category. You can see the effect each code has on the transaction as well. Let me know if this document is of any help to you.

SoftDent: Transaction Code Categories Job Aid

tschmedding
Canine II

Hi Chris,

This is helpful but I need the adjustment to show on the deposit slip.  It would show as a credit on the patients account but also as a reduction in the deposit.

Is there a code range for this type of transaction?

Thank you,

Linda Family Dentistry of Walnut Creek

Dr. Troy Schmedding, DDS

Dr. Wayne Walker, DDS

106 La Casa Via, Suite #280

Walnut Creek, CA 94598

Office (925)932-2110

Fax (925)932-3124

chriscornett
Premolar II

Thanks for clarifying tschmedding‌ and I'm sorry, but currently there is no way to show the adjustment on the deposit slip as the code range for adjustments is outside of the range of codes that would appear on the deposit slip by design. I know that's not the response you were seeking, but I hope it does answer your question.

tschmedding
Canine II

Hi Chris,

Thank you for this information. 

Linda Family Dentistry of Walnut Creek

Dr. Troy Schmedding, DDS

Dr. Wayne Walker, DDS

106 La Casa Via, Suite #280

Walnut Creek, CA 94598

Office (925)932-2110

Fax (925)932-3124

drcavola
Premolar III

Linda,

It's our experience that you would have to post that Delta insurance check manually, instead of using the insurance payment feature (what used to be called "bulk" insurance payments).  There are a couple of reasons why, 1. if that patient had been paid before, then there is not likely an outstanding insurance claim, and therefore it won't show up on the list (you can add one back manually, on the fly, if needed), and 2. The ONLY way in which a bulk insurance payment can and will post is if the numbers match exactly.  The only caveat is if you could eliminate that patient and the claim from the equation and if the rest of the patients with outstanding claims were able to match perfectly with the net amount of the Delta insurance check.  That would be your lucky day!

In any event, the only codes listed on the deposit slip part of the day sheet are the checks, either personal and/or insurance checks.  Any other payment adjustment codes would show up on the day sheet but not the deposit slip.  Of course, it's a whole different story if the bulk Delta check was an electronic check (EFT).  Then it won't show up at all (on the deposit slip), given that you post the insurance check as an electronic insurance check (code 2.90 in Softdent)

enspire
Premolar I

We use a "refund insurance" code that we created.  Treat it the same as a refund check, only to insurance, because basically that is what you are doing when there is an auto adjustment.  We use the code 33.10.  It balances out perfectly.  Hope this helps.