cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
suzanne
Canine III

PPO Write-offs posted to Hygienist

Is it recommended to post Hygiene write-offs to the Hygienist?  We have our collection Dr set to the Dr, and the production Dr set to the Hygienist.  So when we receive a payment from a PPO plan, should we be allocating the write-off to the Hygienist?  Since the collection Dr receives all of the payment, the write-off would be allocated to the Hygienist.  Would this make sense on reports, or will it just make more work for staff?

Labels (1)
17 Replies

Re: PPO Write-offs posted to Hygienist

write-off codes will decrease production amount so i would post it to the production provider the hygienist in your case 

though i am not a 100% sure about your setup this is what i think would work best 

softdentgirl‌ can you help us with this 

suzanne
Canine III

Thank you, Ayman!  We pay hygienists on a flat hourly rate instead of a % of production or collections, so we have hygienists set up as...

Provider Type: Hygienist

Assign Collections to: Dr (owner)

Dr on Insurance Forms: Dr (owner)

If we were to pay hygienists on a % of collections, I'm assuming we would change it to..

Assign Collections to: [Ms. Hygienist]

Does that sound correct?

pksaari79
Premolar III

We pay our hygienist based on 33% of production.  And since they technically don't collect the money, Collection is still assigned to the doctor.  I would think that could be an issue if the collection amount was assigned to hygienists AND they were only getting a percentage.

pksaari79‌ so you have the production assigned to hygienist while collection is assigned to the Dr , do you post PPO write-offs to Dr or hygienist ?

0 Kudos

the setup you described is the most common for hygienists as assigning collections to them selves might cause validation errors in claims
usually Dentists are assigned for collections 

and as the example of kay's office they pay per production not per collections 

pksaari79
Premolar III

We are not contracted so no write offs.  Production is assigned to the hygienists and collection to the doctor is correct.  If they make an error, that does come off as a correction to their production.

suzanne
Canine III

Ok, good to know we're on the right track! 

0 Kudos
suzanne
Canine III

What report do you run in order to get the Hygienist production amount to take your 33% from?

0 Kudos
pksaari79
Premolar III

We set this up to run on a weekly basis ( on Tuesdays as Payroll go through Tuesday), in the Report Manager.  It's easier to run weekly even tho I do payroll every 2 weeks.  Once you go into Report Manager, to add the report, select Advanced Options then the Add tab.  This way it is a report you don't have to run from scratch.  From there:

Select Reports.......Accounting.......Registers.........Period........Print Preview.  When it comes up, I put the name of the Hygienist in the Title and then put the dates as MM/-6/YYYY thru MM/DD/YYYY as well as her Provider number.  I do this for each hygienist as a separate report.  I take the production and the Quickbooks figures their 33% for me.  It should look like this: