cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FormerPLM
Premolar III

Proposed Enhancements to Clinical Notes

Hello SoftDent Community,

I'm working on some proposed changes to clinical notes and would appreciate your input.  

Here are the changes:

1)  The note text color will be set to the provider color.  In the example below, Dr. Smiley is set to hyper green in the Provider setup (List -> Provider).

2)  A text toolbar will be added, giving the user the ability to bold, underline, italicize, and change the font size.  

3)  The notes view will be expanded horizontally to improve readability.  

4)  The notes view will become "active"; the user will be able to grab the right corner and expand the box to vertically.

Thoughts please!

Thank you for participating in the Community!

Jeff

12 Replies
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: Proposed Enhancements to Clinical Notes

Hi Jeff, 

I am very excited about the idea of enhancing our clinical notes feature!  I like all of the proposed changes except that right off the bat, I found the green notes very hard to read.  I realize that the doctor could change their color to make it easier to read (to blue or purple, for example), but some offices have many providers with established colors, some use grey, yellow, or even white as their provider color.  Also, many offices are using our clinical notes per visit feature where both hygiene and doctor notes are within the same single entry - how will the color be assigned then?  

In my opinion, it might be more helpful to color code the clinical notes list (or even just the provider column) and leave the note text black.  Even better, would be to add the option to manually change text color or highlight within the note as part of the text edit toolbar you are proposing.  I don't know if this is possible, but that is my off the cuff reaction to your post.  

Hope this helps in some way.  Looking forward to seeing what the rest of the community thinks! 

Danelle

FormerPLM
Premolar III

Hey Danelle, thanks!  This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for!  We will use their established colors - so we're not adding new/different colors.  Let's see what the community thinks, right now this is very flexible.  

Thanks!

shanab
Premolar I

Hi Jeff,

Not only as a trainer but as a hygienist that has used SD clinically for years, I would like to see voice integration so clinical notes can be dictated.  So many offices ask about this and I think it would be a great optional function 

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Dear Jeff,

This is great that the clinical notes component is being looked at.  I agree with Shana that having the ability to dictate is important for offices, even creating the initial generic/default note. 

Danelle brings up a great point also, about the colors, often a practice does not assign a color to a provider at all, but being able to select colors on the fly would be a great solution to that.

Sorting and the larger reading area is great too. Ability to print or send all clinical notes to a file easily, in the case of needing documentation for legal situations is needed as well as when a patient transfers or moves. 

Thanks Jeff for putting work into this

Meryl

shanab
Premolar I

Another item that I would like to see enhanced is the treatment plan notes.  For example, if you are in treatment plan mode, you get a prompt on whether you want to add a clinical note. If you say "yes" or "yes to all", the default note for AFTER the procedure is done auto populates.  It would be nice to have it be blank or have the ability to customize a drop down menu to select things like, decay under restoration, fracture, unrestorable, etc

I would also like to see the treatment plan items not show under the clinical notes window if the customer has "per visit" note option selected.  If you don't check box the line item, it should disappear (if it is a treatment planned item) and not keep populating at future visits. 

shanab
Premolar I

To further clarify- the treatment plan notes should be WHY the treatment is recommended, not what the default clinical note is once treatment has been completed.

A narrative option, so to speak and it would be amazing if the narrative could auto-populate on the insurance form or as an electronic attachment. 

FormerPLM
Premolar III

Hey Shana,

I like these ideas.  I may need you to walk me thru them, just so I get the stories right.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Dear Shana,

Great info; I agree about Treatment plan notes. Instead of the default note narrative for the ADA code populating the note, If there is a generic note for the code, such as recurrent decay at margins for a crown, or broken tooth, apical area on radiograph for RCT that should automatically be the option to choose. Simplify the TP note is so needed. 

Meryl

shanab
Premolar I

Meryl,

Agreed. There are so many options out there to consider!  I love this topic!!!

Keep smiling!

Shana