cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doctom4300
Premolar III

Running billing statements: whose will print?

When we run billing statements, sometimes we pull one and don't send it. When we do that, we go into the account transactions and remove the "statement sent" transaction. If we were to run billing statements again a couple days later, would that statement print or not?

Thanks in advance.

-Brenda

0 Kudos
11 Replies
pksaari79
Premolar III

Re: Running billing statements: whose will print?

I believe it would run in a couple of days if payment is due in your time frame, as you removed the statement sent in the account.  What I have done, and do quite regularly, is run them to preview.  Then I can choose which ones to print OR edit the accounts to note when I may want them to run or if at all.  For example, we use a code for an account with a low balance,  So, after 2 statements, I may want to wait until they come in the next time for payment...and we are talking under $10. They may run but from preview, I can tell individually which ones I want to print or not.  But I do this often so we are talking no more than 5 statements at a time.  THAT would make a difference, on how many statements you are running and how often.  I just add the codes I don't want to run for a statement.

doctom4300
Premolar III

Kay, thank you so much for the "Preview" suggestion. It would be overwhelming to use that if we stuck with monthly billing, but we are going to run statements more frequently, and Preview will save us lots of unnecessary printing. I just ran it and it was only 10 or so statements to look through.

0 Kudos
pksaari79
Premolar III

I know offices do monthly billing but that seems so overwhelming, esp since we know and use the Preview.  Statements are generated or altered as needed in a quicker fashion and hopefully payment is made more quickly!!  Glad I could offer a good suggestion.

0 Kudos
mdunham
Premolar III

Brenda,   I am not sure if you are aware, but you can assign softdent to not bill any account more than once in a specific time period.  If you go into Softdent and hit F1, search Handeling Billing Statements, there you will find how to set this up.  

Also, the best feature of the Preview is that you can write a note that appears on the statement explaining why the statement exists, or any note you would prefer.    It's wonderful!

doctom4300
Premolar III

I am aware of that. But there is no ICM setting that will do what we want (collect an estimated amount from the patient at the time of service, and then suppress billing statements until insurance has paid), so sometimes we have to manually pull bills from being sent. When we do that, we delete the "bill sent" transaction from the account.

Now that we will be running the billing more frequently and will be using the Preview we will simply delete those statements before they are even printed.

I have tried to add notes to billing statements before. It doesn't allow for long enough notes. We just manually write a note on the statement, if one is necessary.

0 Kudos
mdunham
Premolar III

Wouldn't  that be ICM2?

Selecting an Insurance Calculation Method

0 Kudos
doctom4300
Premolar III

Yes, that's ICM2. But it bills the patient immediately without waiting for the insurance to pay. We don't want the patient billed until the insurance pays (or denies - boo!).

0 Kudos
mdunham
Premolar III

Aha!  Now I see what you are trying to do.   Although I do not advise that type of AR management.   Patients should pay the practice on DOS and if estimation tools

such as Bluebooks and Fee schedules are set properly you should have a pretty accurate estimation.

In keeping with your practice wishes you could set accounts with INS to ICM2 and accounts without give them a different ICM.  and then extend out your billing cycle????!  That would give you more time to collect payment from plans.   

We use ICM2, the patients pay copay at DOS, and any remainder after plan/plans have paid.   

0 Kudos
bert
Premolar II

Go that account and look at the last statement date field, that will tell Softdent the date to count from on cycle billing, if cycle billing is set to 25 days, the statement date needs to be today minus 25 or more will get statement, 25 or less will not. The last statement date determines not the comment code in the account ledger.