cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doctom4300
Premolar III

Setting the area code for all patients

Is there a way to set the area code for all existing phone numbers that lack an area code? Or do I have to manually check the phone numbers for each patient and guarantor?

Thanks in advance.

-Brenda

0 Kudos
14 Replies
pksaari79
Premolar III

Re: Setting the area code for all patients

softdentgirl‌ can help with this.  There may be a utility involved....I can't remember.

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Hello Brenda

Click System

Click Change System Settings

Click General System Settings

Click Phone Preferences

Then there is a Utility

**Please call SoftDent Support for Assistance (866) 435-7473

doctom4300
Premolar III

We did change the settings a few years ago so that the area code fills in automatically for new patients, but that obviously doesn't fill in the area code for existing patients.

I'm guessing everyone needs to be out of SoftDent to run a utility, so I'll set up something with support for when the office is closed.

Thanks for the help!

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Correct

but it is a quick utility

Wendy

doctom4300
Premolar III

I just got off of the phone with support. I was told that the utility will not work to replace blank area codes. When I try, I get an error message that the existing area code must be 200 or higher. The rep I spoke with did not know of any other way to set all the blank area codes other than manually.

Any other ideas? softdentgirl

Brenda

0 Kudos
drcavola
Premolar III

Brenda,

I would think that in this current age with so many cell phones of different area codes, and the disappearance of land lines, that your best bet is to flag those numbers without and update individually.  I would also think that a "wrong" area code would be worse than no area code.  That's the risk you take having a utility "fix".  Going back to correct a wrong area code would be more of a "time suck" to me  

I'm old enough to remember a time when physical location was the determining factor in area code.  Oh, the good ol' days. 

pksaari79
Premolar III

I agree with Ron, update individually!!  I know my own children don't live in the area but they still have their cell from here and we have patients in the same situation....that have moved from somewhere else but now reside here, keeping their cell number.

0 Kudos
doctom4300
Premolar III

I'm not just trying to update the cell phone area code, but all area codes. Before I started working in this office, the area code for new patients defaulted to blank.

One by one it is!

0 Kudos
pksaari79
Premolar III

Or now have a new home number with this area code but a cell phone with a different area code and a work number with a different area code.  That's why one by one will be easier in the long run, I think!!

0 Kudos