cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vg2180
Canine II

Submit Insurance Glitch for self pay patients

Jump to solution

We have had an ongoing issue in softdent with patients who were once on insurance and switch to self pay.  Once a patient no longer has insurance, we remove insurance info were applicable.  After checking out the patient the option to "submit insurance" pops up.  Whenever its ignored or unchecked it will continue to pop up every time the transactions screen is opened until you click it.  When it's clicked it does nothing.  There is no insurance claim in the "outstanding insurance" screen.  This is also an issue because it will not generate a statement for the patient when we do monthly statements, and if a statement is manually printed it shows a portion of the bill as "outstanding to insurance". 

It doesn't happen to every patient that switches from insurance to self pay but it happens to many.

We have Softdent v14.0.4

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
pksaari79
Premolar III

Re: Submit Insurance Glitch for self pay patients

Jump to solution

I do know when you take out insurance for a patient and an account, you need to start by removing it from the patient first. We mark it No Insurance in the patient information and then take it out of the account.  If you start in the account, the patient information "grays" out and you can't take it out.  We are on 16.2.4 and haven't had an issue with this, if we do it right.  

vg2180
Canine II

Jump to solution

Thanks for your response.  A while back I was wondering if that is what was triggering the glitch but I always remove insurance info from patient screen (ID#, Relationship, Grantor, etc...) and then remove it from the account screen. It seems like its not effecting the glitch either way, and in the same sense some patients that have had insurance removed incorrectly don't have the glitch at all. 

0 Kudos
pksaari79
Premolar III

Jump to solution

Sorry about that.....hoped my situation helped you out.  Good luck finding how to fix the glitch!!

0 Kudos
stu
Canine III

Jump to solution

Changing the ICM to 0 might also prevent the submit insurance popup.

0 Kudos
bert
Premolar II

Jump to solution

The key things to look at here are:

1. On the patient record does the primary and secondary insurance say none and guarantor unknown.

2. If you are still prompted to submit insurance, you probably have previously unsubmitted transactions in that patients transactions. You can check by using the claim status option and review the items in the transaction. This happens when trans are added when they patient had insurance(before it got disconnected) that were not submitted.

3. You should run under Reports/Practice Management/ Insurance/Unsubmitted claims (make sure you uncheck the treatment plan transactions check box) for  the past 18 months. If you get listings go back to the beginning date range and find all unsubmitted insurance and either submit it or edit the transaction and uncheck the insurable check box.

4. Changing to ICM0 will not prevent the submit to insurance prompt from coming up if there are unsubmitted insurable transaction that are unsent in the patient transactions.

lindamoseley
Canine III

Jump to solution

Hi Vanessa. I agree with what Kay has stated. Remove from patient first and then the account. ALSO, you may have transactions that were posted during the time that SoftDent thought the patient still had insurance coverage. (before you removed the insurance)

To correct this situation simply open the patient's transactions and change the view to "Claim Status". You can find the button to change the view in your options bar.

Now look for transactions that are marked as "Not Sent". Edit each one and remove the check in the "Insurable" box.

SoftDent will no longer prompt you to submit for that patient.

FYI - this is not a bug in SoftDent. It was because transactions were posted before insurance was removed from the record.

Have a great day!! 

vg2180
Canine II

Jump to solution

I went in to a patient with the submit insurance issue and sure enough there is transactions listed as "not sent" in insurance status.  This has solved my issue.  I rarely check the claims status window so of course I missed that.  I thought I was removing insurance correctly but I must have checked a patient out before I knew they had changed their insurance.  Thank you for your response.

0 Kudos
pksaari79
Premolar III

Jump to solution

Glad it all worked out....nice feeling to get it figured out and to work!!  For me, it is always an effort to REMEMBER this for another time.  Good reason for the Exchange....to look up former issues or post it again.