cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gdaurity
Canine II

Upgrading Server

Jump to solution

Have a couple questions as we prepare for IT upgrade I want to make sure that everything we purchase is going to be compatible with the new hardware. 

1) When is v17 scheduled to be released? 

2) Is the windows server 2016 supported on either v16 or will it be on v17?

3) With v17 is everyone eligible for the new update? 

4) Do you have specs or min requirements for v17?

24 Replies
callton
Premolar I

Re: Upgrading Server

Jump to solution

Also, will it be compatible with Windows 7 Professional or will we be forced to update to Windows 10?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

juriz‌ or ayman‌ can you provide an input on this?

Also, just an FYI callton‌ and gdaurity‌ the What's New Video for v17.0 is now available in the Carestream Dental Institute and here  www.carestreamdental.com/SDWhatsNew. The video may not answer these specific questions but gives an overview of what is in v17. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi 

I will answer what I know so far 

No exact release date was communicated down to use yet

Windows server 2016 is not supported /tested on V16 - I don’t know about V17 yet

Everyone should be able to get V 17 if their computers and network meet the minimum requirements that is not released yet 

0 Kudos
abarker
Canine II

Jump to solution

Here it is, April of 2018, and Server 2016 still isn't supported. I recently upgraded a PracticeWorks server from Server 2008 to Server 2016. Everything seems to work fine on the server but the clients perform various functions very slowly. Saving x-rays or even simply running a small report take forever. I don't know if there's a simple fix or not but Carestream says server 2016 isn't supported. I think that is unacceptable considering the last version they support is from 2012 and it is 2018 right now. Why would I want to install Server 2012 when I plan on keeping the new server in place for at least 4 to 6 years? If I use Server 2012, it would be in use in the year 2022 up until 2024. With all the security issues nowadays that are being fixed constantly with updates, I'm not going to intentionally install an operating system that I know will be woefully out-of-date within a couple years.

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

Hi, I'm the current Product Owner for SoftDent and can answer these. Sorry I have been out of town or would have responded sooner.

1) When is v17 scheduled to be released? 

- We start shipping this Friday, 4/13 and will be starting to update cloud that same day.

2) Is the windows server 2016 supported on either v16 or will it be on v17?

- Nothing has changed from V16 about official support for server 2016. V17 has not been tested. We are in the process of doing this now as well as Office 2016. These two things do not have to be tied to a release so once the testing has been completed, we will let everyone know.

3) With V17 is everyone eligible for the new update? 

- Everyone currently on a SD support contract is eligible.

4) Do you have specs or min requirements for v17?

- I believe these will be updated once we start shipping. (Tomorrow)

Anyone wanting to be added to the Prioritized ship list, please let me know by putting your office name and number below.

Thanks! I look forward to hearing how everyone likes it!

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

We also plan on getting a head start on support for Server 2019 so we don't run into the same gap with Server 2016.

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

Yes, V17 is tested on Windows 7.

0 Kudos
macohen
Canine II

Jump to solution

When will the scheduler version be ready?  I am on v116.2.5-S.

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

All "flavors" of SoftDent will be ready on the 13th.